Returning an item not as described

m3399
Community Member

I bought an item not as described and the seller asked me to open a return request.When I did that,it showed a restocking fee of 20%,which prompted me to cancel the request.

I did write to the seller and she said not to worry she will not charge restocking( she has no right to do it anyway) and would refund the return shipping cost.

My problem is that I can not open another return request for the same item,because I closed it.

How do I get this resolved?

Ebay does not do a good job with all this requests issues.Policy is that when you return an item NOT as described you do not have to pay restocking fees.It would be logical,that the issue with restocking fees is eliminated the moment you open the return request.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

m3399 wrote:

Ebay does not do a good job with all this requests issues. Policy is that when you return an item NOT as described you do not have to pay restocking fees.It would be logical,that the issue with restocking fees is eliminated the moment you open the return request.

That is correct, when you open a Not As Described, the seller is not allowed to charge a restocking fee.  Did you say you changed your mind or didn't want it any more?  In what is called "buyer remorse" cases a seller CAN charge a restocking fee.  

Once you close a case, you can never re-open another on eBay.  You can then open a case on PayPal but PP makes you send the defective item back at your own expense.  

If the seller was in violation of eBay policy what I would do if it were me, is I would use the Help & Contact number at the top or bottom of the page and call eBay's Customer Service.  EBay's CS is generally not much help and very poorly informed but they should at least be able to see that you need to open a NAD case without the fee and that according to the policy page charging a restocking fee on a NAD claim is not allowed, 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/item-not-as-described.html#issue

If this situation ever arises again then call eBay to report the fee attempt BEFORE closing the case.  But try to call them anyway because when they see what happened they may be able to re-open the case for you, this time WITHOUT the restocking fee.  

You may have to call CS more than once.  Sometimes you get a person who has no clue, so just be very nice and polite and then call back later and try again.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

As noted, under some circumstances* sellers are allowed to charge restocking fees.

The big problem that eBay has yet to address is that, while eBay requires sellers to send a Return Shipping Label when an item is Not As Described*, they have still not addressed how this is to be done when the buyer and seller are not in the same country.

Any answer is bound to be complex.

It is worth noting that Pitney Bowes, which runs the Global Shipping Program, just don't bother to require the return at all, which itself is problematical.

But if eBay wants to encourage international shopping, a straightforward solution is necessary.

*But not when the return is for Buyer Remorse.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply