Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Search criteria to exclude Global Shipping Program

Sorry, but I really have no idea what you're on about here.

Message 1061 of 3,104
latest reply

"Sorry, but I really have no idea what you're on about here." 

That's fine, lets both just move on.

Message 1062 of 3,104
latest reply

Who gets the money when their are no import charges. Most items I order have no import charges but yet the buyer charges them to you. If their are import charges I now won't buy the item. Another ebay ripoff!!!!!!

Message 1063 of 3,104
latest reply

I really need this box #2. Where and how can I retrieve it  and, yes, pay for extra charge, before Global SP and/or Pitney just

throw it away ?

My concern is not getting a refund, it is getting my items.

Thanks,

Message 1064 of 3,104
latest reply

Where to go to retrieve a parcel that was not deliver to me because it is oversized ? Where are those kept ? Are they shipped back to the seller or destroyed ? 

Message 1065 of 3,104
latest reply

They can't be retrieved. If an oversize item is sent to the Kentucky depot, PB keeps the package and refunds the buyer.

Message 1066 of 3,104
latest reply

Unfortunately, PB doesn't usually give the buyer the option of paying extra to receive the oversize package. They generally refund the buyer and then sell the goods. You can contact PB and see if they will make an exception but you may not have much luck. .

The following info was posted on another thread....

For Pitney Bowes customer service regarding GSP issues, you can email PBISGSPCS@pb.com to reach the GSP Customer Service group. Or you can call 1-866-235-9627, and press 1 to reach the same GSP Customer Service group. 

Message 1067 of 3,104
latest reply

Unfortunately, it strikes me that this shipment was in violation of one of the Program Rules for sellers using the GSP:

You will ship all GSP Items contained in a single order to the U.S. Shipping Center in a single Parcel

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/seller-tnc.html

This may have been the actual problem, but it may have been labelled an issue of being "oversize" due to a second package being employed.

Message 1068 of 3,104
latest reply

Duty and tax was mentioned a couple of times but only in context of the CBSA regarding imports by mail.  Last post stated rather clearly that for the most part reference is to duty and for what ever reason you keep bring "tax" into the equation.  The GSP is meant for non-commercial usage, so why introduce the subject of a "tax on business", clearly a commercial enterprise and is an example

that just adds to the confusion.

To be technical, while businesses do not have to pay tax on imports, these taxes are often charged, paid, and then used as a deduction when the recieving business does its tax reports each month.

Just as exporting businesses get a rebate on GST paid within Canada when the taxed item is exported.  

So in the long run, a business does not pay, but in the short term it does.

Which is vastly over-simplified.

Message 1069 of 3,104
latest reply

"tax on business"

Responder previously had introduced the subject of "tax on business" when the topic [at the time] had to do with the GSP.  The GSP is meant for non-commercial usage where as tax on business is the result of a commercial enterprise.  Why confuse the issue when discussing the GSP, it's like mixing apples & oranges, they don't belong together.

Message 1070 of 3,104
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

"tax on business"

Responder previously had introduced the subject of "tax on business" when the topic [at the time] had to do with the GSP.  The GSP is meant for non-commercial usage where as tax on business is the result of a commercial enterprise.  Why confuse the issue when discussing the GSP, it's like mixing apples & oranges, they don't belong together.

I'm still not sure of the issue you're trying to bring up here, but both businesses and individuals are responsible for paying tax and duty (where it applies) assessed on goods that they import.  The difference is that businesses can claim the tax portion paid as an "input tax credit" after the fact.

Items imported through the GSP are processed as commercial shipments but because of the way GSP invoicing works (or doesn't) the recipient doesn't (or cannot) claim credit on the taxes paid.

Message 1071 of 3,104
latest reply

fpa4
Community Member
Is there any way to set up a search that would exclude all items that use eBay's Global Shipping Program? I'm really tired of paying more than 50% (in some cases 80% including import fees) of item sell price in shipping fees. If not, does anyone know how to submit a feature request to eBay?
Thanks,

Martin
Message 1072 of 3,104
latest reply

Can you help me find where on ebay I can find this information? I just bought four items from a seller, buy it now, at approx $15 each. Each item had a shipping cost of $19 and no import fees, so I had previously sent the seller an email asking about combined shipping, and if he could ship all the items in a single $19 shipping charge. I don't mind paying import duty, I realize that I owe those fees in any case. He replied that he would combine for whatever the combined shipping cost of Priority mail would be, so I bought the items. When I came to checkout, there was no "request total" option and shipping was about $8.50+ per item, plus $5+ import. In the end, $62 worth of auctions cost $55 shipping and duty, and I know from repeated experience that the same four items could be shipped First Class for $11.55. I have accepted that what is done is done, but I would like to avoid the $43 surcharge in the future, and if you could point me to where ebay discourages sales of less than $50 from using global shipping I would appreciate it. Even if I had bought the items in pairs, and paid for two First class shipments it would have cost me $86 instead of the $115 it ended up costing.
Thanks!
Message 1073 of 3,104
latest reply

Is there any way to bypass global shipping on sales from US to Canada.  It makes it very costly to buy from a US seller.  It charges

import fees when it shouldn't.  I would appreciate any help with this matter as I am running into it time and time again.  Thanks.

Message 1074 of 3,104
latest reply

You recently bought a US$14.00 item with First Class International shipping.  I'd think you'd be irritated with that purchase, too, as the shipping price at US$7.65 is over 50% of the item price.

I'd also think that if you thought the shipping and processing charges made the overall charge for an item too high, that it would be a matter of simply not committing to purchasing the item, but that's just me.

Anyway, to answer your question, there's no filter for Global Shipping Program listings.  The best way to avoid viewing GSP listings is to ensure that you're viewing your search results in "list view" rather than "gallery view".  The GSP listings will have the subtitle "Customs services and international tracking provided" under the listing title.  Avoid those listings.

Message 1075 of 3,104
latest reply

This may be some help regarding the 50.00 item price, although I don't know how discouraging it would be to those that haven't shipped internationally.

Considering the last sentence it could be considered encouragement.

To use a cart you would need to buy on ebay.com. and if the total items purchased are over CAD20.00, taxes and duty charges could be applied .

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html#charges

SHIPPING GSP.JPG

SHIPPING GSP 2.JPG

Message 1076 of 3,104
latest reply

You can avoid buying from sellers who use the GSP because all the listings under the program say:

Customs services and international tracking provided

However, if you can't find it without GSP and you can't live without it, you can ask the seller to remove it.

Most won't, because the program was not set up to benefit buyers but to help US sellers who were afraid of selling internationally. The GSP allows them to ship domestically with Delivery Confirmation to the GSP/PitneyBowes plant in Kentucky, at which point their responsibility ends. Any problems or disputes must be taken up with eBay/PP who will deal with PB.

However, you could ask that the seller set up a private listing for you, using your name as the title, with USPS First Class International Shipping. This service offers Delivery Confirmation (at least to Canada) and products up to four pounds .

Message 1077 of 3,104
latest reply

@fpa4 wrote:
Can you help me find where on ebay I can find this information? I just bought four items from a seller, buy it now, at approx $15 each. Each item had a shipping cost of $19 and no import fees, so I had previously sent the seller an email asking about combined shipping, and if he could ship all the items in a single $19 shipping charge. I don't mind paying import duty, I realize that I owe those fees in any case. He replied that he would combine for whatever the combined shipping cost of Priority mail would be, so I bought the items. When I came to checkout, there was no "request total" option and shipping was about $8.50+ per item, plus $5+ import. In the end, $62 worth of auctions cost $55 shipping and duty, and I know from repeated experience that the same four items could be shipped First Class for $11.55. I have accepted that what is done is done, but I would like to avoid the $43 surcharge in the future, and if you could point me to where ebay discourages sales of less than $50 from using global shipping I would appreciate it. Even if I had bought the items in pairs, and paid for two First class shipments it would have cost me $86 instead of the $115 it ended up costing.

The "$50 rule of thumb" is found on this information page.  Look under General Information for the question "Who might not benefit from the Global Shipping Program".

Personally, I don't find that guideline particularly useful.  Very heavy items worth $50 can actually be less expensive to ship through the GSP than through the mail depending on how the seller has structured his/her domestic shipping rates.  I think a more useful guideline, which seems to dovetail with your experience, is that items that can be shipped fairly safely as oversize letters (First Class International) aren't generally good fits with the the GSP.

As you found out the hard way, just because an item has no "import charges" on it, it doesn't mean that the item isn't being shipped through the Global Shipping Program.  However, unless you were viewing the items on eBay Mobile, there should have been a banner near the top of each of those listing pages that stated that the items were being shipped through the Global Shipping Program followed by a "learn more" link.  

More importantly, however, your seller should have been more familiar with the workings of the program, assuming that they opted into the program knowingly (and he may not have).  You may have been an unfortunate guinea pig for him, particular for combined shipping, which is not supported by the GSP, but also for the invoicing process, which is not within the seller's control.

Message 1078 of 3,104
latest reply

As you found out the hard way, just because an item has no "import charges" on it, it doesn't mean that the item isn't being shipped through the Global Shipping Program. However, unless you were viewing the items on eBay Mobile, there should have been a banner near the top of each of those listing pages that stated that the items were being shipped through the Global Shipping Program followed by a "learn more" link.
Marnotom! Said:
More importantly, however, your seller should have been more familiar with the workings of the program, assuming that they opted into the program knowingly (and he may not have). You may have been an unfortunate guinea pig for him, particular for combined shipping, which is not supported by the GSP, but also for the invoicing process, which is not within the seller's control.

Oh I was fully aware that the items were sold via GSP, I simply thought the seller could control the process. I've now discovered that they can't, so I will avoid all auctions that do use the GSP, I was just seeking something to point to as an argument. I have one seller from who I've bought several times over the years, and who has always packed my packages flawlessly, sign up for the program and since drop out of it. I learned this when I sent him a note commenting on the poor packaging (not his usual standard of work) and he explained that it was the PBI folks who undid his package and repackaged the items, damaging the plastic boxes in the process. I was one of many to complain, and my most recent purchase from him was done via his website, outside of ebay, as a result. I won't name the seller to protect him from persecution, but I've decided tonight not to buy anything through the GPS again. Thank you for the link, I will put it to good use!
Message 1079 of 3,104
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 1080 of 3,104
latest reply