Seller ignores messages. Haven't received item from July.

ca-gai0
Community Member

I bought an item back in July and never received it.

I contacted the seller after waiting the estimated delivery time, in which they did respond, however told me to wait another week and that they would contact the "post agency."

I waited another week and contacted them again, no answer. I waited again, I think almost about a month because time flew by and I expected to finally receive the item by now. The estimated delivery says "Friday, Aug 5, 2016 - Friday, Sep 9, 2016" so I thought it was more than appropriate to remain patient.

I've checked the Actions given in the Order Details and all I can do is leave feedback (which I've tried, but it tells me "this item number does not exist, or you have already left feedback" which both is untrue - the item is still listed and I have not left feedback.)

contact seller or return item. 

Is there a way I can contact eBay to resolve this issue and get my money back? Or have the seller respond to me? In all honesty, this is my first time being ignored by a seller and not receiving an item costing more than $2-3 (with that, I was just thinking, "oh well.") I'm generally a cheap shopper but I was looking forward to this item.

Any comments and replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Apologies if this doesn't belong in this Board, I'm still very new to using the Boards.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

ebay only gives 30 days after the latest estimated arrival date to file a claim. You will now have to file a claim through PayPal , you have 180 days to do that. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This is from the paypal webiste:

There are 2 kinds of disputes:

• Item Not Received – You bought something but didn’t receive it. (Wait at least 3 days from the transaction date to give your seller enough time to ship the item.)
  • Significantly Not as Described – You received an item but it was significantly different from the seller’s original description. (You might have to pay return shipping costs.)

Here's how to open a dispute:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Center.
  3. Click Dispute a Transaction.
  4. Select Item Dispute, then click Continue.
  5. Click Find transaction ID.
  6. Click the Transaction ID next to the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.

Note:

• You have to open a dispute with PayPal within the timeframe noted in the transaction details.
  • If you and the seller can’t resolve the problem, you can ask us to investigate by escalating your dispute to a claim.
  • If you don’t escalate a dispute to a claim within 20 days, we automatically close it. Once a dispute is closed, you can’t reopen it or escalate it to a claim.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@ca-gai0 wrote:

I bought an item back in July and never received it.

I contacted the seller after waiting the estimated delivery time, in which they did respond, however told me to wait another week and that they would contact the "post agency."

I waited another week and contacted them again, no answer. I waited again, I think almost about a month because time flew by and I expected to finally receive the item by now. The estimated delivery says "Friday, Aug 5, 2016 - Friday, Sep 9, 2016" so I thought it was more than appropriate to remain patient.

I've checked the Actions given in the Order Details and all I can do is leave feedback (which I've tried, but it tells me "this item number does not exist, or you have already left feedback" which both is untrue - the item is still listed and I have not left feedback.)

contact seller or return item. 

Is there a way I can contact eBay to resolve this issue and get my money back? Or have the seller respond to me? In all honesty, this is my first time being ignored by a seller and not receiving an item costing more than $2-3 (with that, I was just thinking, "oh well.") I'm generally a cheap shopper but I was looking forward to this item.

Welcome to The Boards!  🙂   Absolutely THE best place for all things eBay.

I wish I could give you better news.  You only have 30 days after the LAST delivery date (in this case, Sep 9) to file a claim on eBay when you don't receive your item. 

If you paid from a PayPal account then you still have hope because you have 180 days from when you PAID to file a claim from your PP Acc.  Use the RESOLUTION CENTER under  TOOLS. 

The seller is ignoring you because they think you can't do anything to them.  When you file your PP claim you are supposed to contact the seller but you have obviously done that so just go straight to the claim and escalate to get your money back as soon as possible. 

You only ever have 60 days to leave feedback.  The most important thing is getting your money back. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

That's right. Still, don't delay.

Go to the Resolution Centre on Paypal and open an Item Not Received (INR) case.

Also be sure NOT to accept your seller's offer of a replacement if such as offer is made. Often (but not always) this is merely a stall tactic designed to force to you blow your deadline for escalation or strong-arm you into closing the case before actually receiving your goods.

If the seller is domestic (therefore a short delivery time even the second go-round) and/or one with whom you previously have a good working relationship, an offer of replacement is something you might consider, but otherwise just get your refund and move onward.

If you're feeling generous toward this seller you can always try using your refund to buy that item again from them, knowing you're still protected as part of a new transaction if the next item doesn't arrive either. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

"If you're feeling generous toward this seller you can always try using your refund to buy that item again from them, knowing you're still protected as part of a new transaction if the next item doesn't arrive either."

But why consider giving more business to a seller who has already proven that they don't care about customer service?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Well, I probably would not. But if he were the only person in the world with the thing I needed so badly, I might consider it. Just not as a 'replacement'. Only as its own separate transaction so that if it too was MIA, I wold again be able to appeal that via ebay or paypal. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much for your helpful response, however I did not purchase the item through PP. 😞
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

That's still okay. You can go to your credit card company and inquire about a chargeback stating you paid but have not received anything from the seller. Call without delay but have all your details on hand when you do. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@ca-gai0 wrote:
Thank you so much for your helpful response, however I did not purchase the item through PP. 😞

If you used a credit card then you can call their Customer Service number and tell them you want to file a claim for an item you bought but never received.  It's called a "chargeback" and the card company will want to see all the proof you can fling at them.  This means your statement, the receipt you got when you paid, the emails between you and the seller, etc. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

LOL!  Great minds think alike!  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I bought it with a prepaid credit card, would I still be able to do anything?
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@ca-gai0 wrote:
I bought it with a prepaid credit card, would I still be able to do anything?

Call the card company Customer Service line and tell them what happened.  On the card should be a 1-800 number.  It's still a credit card and should provide buyer protection or not many people would want one.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

ca-gai0
Community Member

GREAT NEWS!!!

With the only Actions given, I decided to try the "Return Item" option and opened a case. The seller accepted and refunded me! 🙂 Maybe it's because I used caps... Who knows. I believe they could have ignored it if they wanted, since eBay didn't notify me whether I could contact them if no response or not. But thank heavens!! Now just to figure out where the money was refunded to 🙂

Thank you to all who helped me and gave me advice as well as solutions. I am very grateful

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I've never tried through a credit card before to solve an issue, and I wasn't expecting this to work but it did!
Message 15 of 15
latest reply