Seller informs you he doesn't ship to your country even though the description says he does

mrfeeze13
Community Member

I bid on an item from the USA and I am in Canada. I waited for the bids to close, I was the highest bidder and received a confirmation email from Ebay. Then got an email from seller advising he doesn't ship to Canada. Error was Ebay's fault as he said he had opted out of global shipping.

Why did he wait until the auction was closed?  Seems like he just didn't get as much he had hoped and decided to try again later.

Not impressed with this seller.

Has anyone had experience anything similar?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Seller informs you he doesn't ship to your country even though the description says he does

Yes this happens often.  Shipping to Canada is often a major hassle and many americans won't ship or sell to Canadians. Now this does not mean  that the seller is trying to rip you off, they will at times drop a sale because the winning bid was not enough and they would loose money shipping to Canada.  I always write the seller first to check if they have a minimum bid requirement as Ebay's policy is to hide the minimum bid requirement as well as shipping. However yes some sellers are too lazy to update their auction info as i recently had the misfortune of encountering. It is false advertizing  but ebay is partially to blame as well because it limits the time you have to make corrections just like the 27 seconds i have left to update this msg.

Some larger businesses in the USA won't ship to Canada if they have dealers here in Canada.   An example would be Can-Am (aka Bombardier recreational products) forbids their US dealers from selling to Canadians as the US prices are thousands of dollars less than they are here in Canada.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

He may not have noticed that a Canadian was bidding on the auction.

Does the listing show that the item will be sent through the global shipping program? If so, it's silly of the seller not to want to send the item as he only has to send it to Kentucky and another company takes over from there.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@montbray wrote:

Yes this happens often.  Shipping to Canada is often a major hassle and many americans won't ship or sell to Canadians. Now this does not mean  that the seller is trying to rip you off, they will at times drop a sale because the winning bid was not enough and they would loose money shipping to Canada.  I always write the seller first to check if they have a minimum bid requirement as Ebay's policy is to hide the minimum bid requirement as well as shipping. However yes some sellers are too lazy to update their auction info as i recently had the misfortune of encountering. It is false advertizing  but ebay is partially to blame as well because it limits the time you have to make corrections just like the 27 seconds i have left to update this msg.

Some larger businesses in the USA won't ship to Canada if they have dealers here in Canada.   An example would be Can-Am (aka Bombardier recreational products) forbids their US dealers from selling to Canadians as the US prices are thousands of dollars less than they are here in Canada.

What would that  "major hassle" be ?

Filling out the three  lines of the customs form ?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@nuvistors wrote:

@montbray wrote:

What would that  "major hassle" be ?

Filling out the three  lines of the customs form ?

A major hassle???? Really. I would say it's more like just plain lazy. And it is a rare occurrence that a Seller offers free shipping. 

• You invoice
  • It gets paid
  • You send it

How on earth is this a hassle. THIS is selling!

One does not simply buy. One eBays!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply