Seller is bargaining for positive feedback on item sold

Spoiler

I purchased a screen protector for a 3DS for $1.29 with shipping. The item came in a sealed package. One of the screens is larger then it should be, so I rechecked the listing and it clearly showed the protector fitting the inside edge of the screen. So I then emailed the seller, and asked him what he would suggest as a solution. He then offered me a 30% refund. My response was "Sure! for a neutral feedback and three stars!" He then asked if he gave me a refund, or sent me a replacement, would I give him a positive review? It is only $1.29, I mean when I ordered it, I thought no big deal if it's not what I expected. But I'm not giving a positive feedback for an item that was not as described. Do I let it go, and not post any feedback. Or accept the refund/replacement and post a positive feedback....when I don't think it was positive. I have a hard time lying...even if it just withholding the truth. OR....am I making too much of the situation? This seller had 14 Neutral, and 12 Negative feedback in the past month. Their positive feedback is 98.2

Thanks....

PS I could not figure out how to delete the spoiler box....that's why it's there

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Your reply is considered feedback extortion of the seller. The seller can now get any feedback or low stars that you give removed by eBay because of the threat.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The full policy is here including examples of what is and is not allowed:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Your reply is considered feedback extortion of the seller. The seller can now get any feedback or low stars that you give removed by eBay because of the threat.

Indeed. Never mention feedback when trying to solve a problem with a seller! Just be thankful that this was only a $1.29 lesson. It could have been a lot more expensive.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Accept their offer of a full refund with no return. Do not leave any feedback or DSR stars.

It is possible that your seller's supplier messed up and sent them the wrong size covers and they were not aware until the emails and neutrals/negs stared coming in.

As a seller, you really should throw your seller a bone, not hang them out to dry. Not over A dollar and change item.

Think Karma. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

So I then emailed the seller, and asked him what he would suggest as a solution. He then offered me a 30% refund. My response was "Sure! for a neutral feedback and three stars!" He then asked if he gave me a refund, or sent me a replacement, would I give him a positive review?

Although I don't think that feedback should have been mentioned at all, I'm not sure if ebay would rule that the buyer was using feedback extortion if the conversation happened as reported. The buyer was responding to the sellers offer of a partial refund, they weren't specifically attempting to force the seller to provide:

• Goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price.

• A return, refund, or replacement item.

If the buyer said they wanted a full refund or a replacement without returning an item then that would definitely be feedback extortion.

The seller did break the feedback extortion policy when they asked the buyer if they would give a positive review for a replacement or refund.

The seller can't require a buyer to leave positive Feedback, specific detailed seller ratings, or revise existing Feedback in exchange for a number of things, including, but not limited to:

• Receiving the purchased item

• Issuing a full or partial refund

• Monetary compensation

• Additional items

• Other goods and services not included in the original listing

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Feedback is a review of the seller's performance. The package was sealed so that seller didn't have any way of knowing that the item was defective. If they refund you or send you a replacement that is as described then I think that they fulfilled their part of the bargain and I would not leave them a bad review. 

But I wouldn't agree to a positive in order to do such and such as that shouldn't be a factor on how they handle the situation.

If you hadn't mentioned feedback first and they refuse to do anything unless you agree to the positive feedback, I would consider giving them a neutral. But because you mentioned feedback first, I can't really blame them for mentioning it too and I would probably not leave any feedback at all in this situation.

Bottom line.....It's up to you to do whatever you want but if it were me, I would  just forget about it and walk away now as I would have known for that price that it was unlikely that it was going to be a good product.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

May I bore all the posters here by mentioning 18 cents a minute?

That is minimum wage in Ontario.

On your $1.29 item you had about 7 minutes of your time invested (at minimum wage, your actual wage may vary).

How much time have you wasted on this pidddling matter?

Take the refund and the apology, leave no feedback, go enjoy the summer sun while it lasts.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a set of 100 colorful muffin paper lines for $10.90 that including shipping and received the most horrible ugly dark color, not described as shown on the seller's picture.

I complained to the seller as it is "not as described" and he never responded for 3 days and I gave him the courtesy to respond one more time and he just shrugged and told me to accept it, so I left him a negative feedback as his listing was misleading with totally different color ones.  Then he "whined" and asked me to revise the feedback if he refund me 50 cents, yes 50 cents!!

I told him, excuse me, I paid $10.90 and he expected me go "whee, 50 cents for refund" and that I would revise the negative feedback"? I told him no way!!  Then he kept coming at me for the 5th time and I told him that I would report him for harassing. 

He has not learned from his negative feedback history that he has lots negative comments for "not as described".    It is unbelievable that he would think I would be excited to get 50 cents a refund!!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

"He has not learned from his negative feedback history that he has lots negative comments for "not as described"."

Did most of these come after you made your purchase?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Too bad his unhappy customers didn't to go for the Not As Described dispute. 

Or understood the power of the Detailed Seller Ratings.

He might have been booted by now.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, hopefully buyers look at both the # of bad feedback and the actual comments before buying.  Would save a lot of headaches.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply