Seller is lying

I bought an item on November 18th 2014. The seller listed the item as will ship in 7-10 days once payment is received. I paid through pay pal instantly for this item.

The item shipped 14 days after I purchased it.  When I asked why he first told me my item was a speciality one which takes longer ( never listed this in the actual auction )

When I called him out on this he then said that due to the thanksgiving holidays my item took longer.

According to EBAY.. the item was shipped on December 1st 2014 and Ebay has an estimated delivery date of December 19th.

There is a tracking number listed but its a false one.  He did not put up a proper tracking number so I have no way of knowing if the delivery date listed was accurate.

I contacted him about this issue and he told me that since I took his basic shipping method that I don't get a shipping number and that if I want one I need to provide him 38 dollars  to receive it.

So there is a bogus shipping number up and because of EBay's estimated delivery date being tomorrow , it won't let me open a dispute.

I just think he is lying and there is essentially no options I can do or get help from. I tried item not received and it does not work but I don't see an option for seller is lying about tracking and shipping .

Does anyone here have any advice or thoughts on what I could do ? This item was supposed to be a gift and I thought I ordered it with ample time to arrive and I feel like I am being jerked around now .

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Seller is lying

Before suggesting someone is "lying", let us analyze the transaction, one step at the time.

"The seller listed the item as will ship in 7-10 days once payment is received. ...The item shipped 14 days after I purchased it"

Did the listing state 7 to 10 business days?  That would work out to 11 to 15 calendar days.

If the shipment took place on December 1st for a payment made November 18th, that works out to 13 calendar days or 8 business days.

No problem there.

What method of shipment was indicated in the listing and how much was it to ship to Canada?  Did it specifically indicate tracking would be included?

" bogus shipping number"

Let us not jump to conclusion so quickly.  You mean the number provided did not work as a "tracking number".  We Canadians do understand the difference between a reference number from Canada Post (economy service) and a "tracking number"(more expensive service).  Possibly the postal service you purchased from the seller did not include a "tracking" number.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Seller is lying

contacted him about this issue and he told me that since I took his basic shipping method that I don't get a shipping number and that if I want one I need to provide him 38 dollars  to receive it.

This is the only part of your query that concerns me.

It sounds as if he is saying that, even though the item has been shipped without tracking, he would be able to recall it, change the shipping service and give you a tracking number for the new shipment.

Which isn't possible.

Or was he talking in the past tense?

Tracked services are not necessarily faster than untracked, although most are. If he gave a choice of a cheap untracked service and a more expensive tracked service, and you chose the cheaper one, you have to take responsibility for that.

I'm also wondering about the 'bogus' tracking number.

My first thought is that he used the Global Shipping Program and you have been trying to use the internal PitneyBowes tracking. Which is not impossible, but is not particularly possible either.

If the seller did use the GSP, he shipped via USPS with Confirmation of Delivery to the GSP/PB plant in Kentucky.  The USPS number is no longer useful since it has done its duty.

The parcel was added to a much larger shipment for transfer to Canada. The parcel within that shipment has an internal tracking number.

Once in Canada, it will be transferred to Canada Post (usually) and delivered to your doorstep.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Seller is lying

The seller listed the item as 7-10 business days. The item shipped 14 business days after I made payment.

He did not list it as calendar days. So ... PROBLEM

When I first asked about the delay. He told me my item was a specialty size and needed more time ( not listed on his auction, no emails sent to me about the delay)

He charged 38 dollars for shipping and listed an additional 38 dollar charge for priority shipping.  I chose to take the 38 dollar shipping as it seemed more then enough to ship what is only a hoodie to me.  I did not opt in for the priority since I had more then enough time to receive the item.

The method in which he explained the item would ship would be USPS. Which I do understand I know the difference between this and Canada Post and how to track Shipping numbers provided.  However you cannot track something that you have got the wrong number for , regardless of what service is being used.

He provided a USPS shipping tracking number to the auction in question. However when I click, copy or try to research the number provided, it tells me there is no such number.  I asked this seller again if this tracking number was for USPS and he said it is.

When I told him the information he listed was incorrect, he told me that for an additional 38 dollars he would then provide me with the working tracking number.

This was all not listed. The promise to ship was not honored in the time frame stated.  I am not even sure if the item is actually in transit at this point and since he did put a bogus tracking number I consider that a Lie.  Priority or Regular Shipping options from this seller were to both provide accurate shipping tracking information. The only different according to the seller was the 76 dollar shipping charge was supposed to arrive in 3-7 days upon payment clearing.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Seller is lying

"The seller listed the item as 7-10 business days. The item shipped 14 business days after I made payment.

He did not list it as calendar days. So ... PROBLEM"

????

Please take the time to read your original post.

You purchased on November 18th

According to your post, the listing shows "7-10 business days. "

According to your post, the seller shipped on December 1st

From November 18 to December 1 you have exactly eight (8) business days (not counting Thanksgiving of course).  Where is the problem?  Why state the seller is lying?

" The promise to ship was not honored in the time frame stated.  "

Yes, it was.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Seller is lying

"When I told him the information he listed was incorrect, he told me that for an additional 38 dollars he would then provide me with the working tracking number."

This part is still confusing...

What did you pay the original $38.00 for?  What specific shipping?

If it did not include tracking, was it heavy?  because $38.00 sounds like a lot for shipping without tracking.

If item is already shipped, how can he possibly provide tracking IF it did not have tracking before?

IF you already paid for tracking, he should provide the correct tracking # at no extra cost.

Failure to do so would certainly result in negative feedback and 1-star on shipping.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Seller is lying

There are enough red flags here and it has been 30 calendar days since you paid, so it is time to stop fussing about the seller and the tracking number.

Go to the Resolution Centre and open an Item Not Recieved dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping , delivery) you will be refunded. If the seller does not refund you, then Paypal will and go after the seller for their money. He will have other fallout.

If the item arrives while the Dispute is open, you can cancel it (or, if necessary, change it to Not As Described).

If it arrives after the Dispute is closed, you can repay the refund directly using Paypal's Send Money option. You cannot ethically have both the money and the item, of course.

In any case, if you can leave feedback, and you have 60 days after payment for this, remember the most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Gave fake tracking number. Item very late.'  And the Detailed Seller Ratings are MUCH more important than feedback,since they have an immediate impact on the seller's account. ONE is the lowest rating. Five is normal.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply