Seller prices out often out of touch with reality

This is just an observation and I was wondering if anyone else has questioned some of the selling practices of many sellers on eBay. I buy online through eBay for some materials related to my business that I cannot purchase in Canada as our options don't compare to the US market. 

I like to buy online, it save the trip downtown, the parking fees, the rude salespeople, the insane Quebec tax rate etc., I also like the excitement of waiting for a parcel in the mail.  But lately I have noticed that for what you can buy in a brick and mortar store for $50, many sellers on eBay will sell the same item for $60 or $70, plus shipping. This is the case for many products and I have no idea why they do it. No matter how lazy I am and how greatly I want to avoid going downtown, I will go out of my way to avoid spending that extra money just out of principal. I understand sellers can charge whatever the hell they want and it is a free market and all that jazz, but come on! 

I was looking for a pair of Chuck Taylor Converse shoes for example; I can buy them in town for about $50 plus tax for a total of something near $57. Not great for a pair of canvas shoes that last a summer. Online at eBay, they START at that price and can go up to double for the same shoe, not some fancy model or limited edition that isn't sold anymore. Who in their right mind is buying that shoe for $120-$150 plus shipping? Why is the seller listing it at that price? I see this in most items that are not handmade or vintage. Weird.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It's basic economics - Supply & Demand.

If the items don't sell, the prices will eventually come down.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I like to buy online, it save the trip downtown, the parking fees, the rude salespeople, the insane Quebec tax rate etc.,

I have noticed that for what you can buy in a brick and mortar store for $50, many sellers on eBay will sell the same item for $60 or $70, plus shipping.

How much are the parking fees? $10 an hour? Add that to the $50

How long does it take to get downtown and back? Add that ( I use 18 cents a minute, the ON minimum wage) to the $50

How much would the sales tax actually be on $50? Add that to the $50

And add a loonie for the annoying sales rep.

Is that higher or lower than the eBay total cost?

Who in their right mind is buying that shoe for $120-$150 plus shipping?

Someone who doesn't live in a city?

Who lives where the only shops are Giant Tiger and Canadian Tire?

Where the nearest town with a WalMart is an hour and two mountain passes away?

Or who does live in a city, but is handicapped and/or a non-driver?

Or who has an odd size of foot? (I saw some years ago an eBay seller who sold single shoes, not pairs. Not completely weird since a fair number of people do have two different shoe sizes, and some have only one leg. )

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@steveyboy1969 wrote:

I was looking for a pair of Chuck Taylor Converse shoes for example; I can buy them in town for about $50 plus tax for a total of something near $57. Not great for a pair of canvas shoes that last a summer. Online at eBay, they START at that price and can go up to double for the same shoe, not some fancy model or limited edition that isn't sold anymore. Who in their right mind is buying that shoe for $120-$150 plus shipping? Why is the seller listing it at that price? I see this in most items that are not handmade or vintage. Weird.

It's possible he's selling them overseas where name brand items are hard to get.

Some of my competitors sell their items for far more than I do and they have an enormous number of sales.  I don't sell to Europe, and they do.  I'm sure that's why.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ahhh! I never considered the one-legged hillbilly who lives in the mountains, far away from any store (save Giant Tiger). Surely he SHOULD pay an outrageous fee for such a privileged! Good thing he has internet connectivity though. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

My daughter lives in central BC, where the nearest WalMart is in Nelson. Because her town is a popular early retirement destination, the average education level is higher than in most cities.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply