Seller refusing refund

What do any of you who've had sellers refuse refunds, advise?

I bought an item which fell apart when I took it out of the box.  It was advertised as new.   I messaged the seller with photos.  It's been 2 weeks and she finally responded to my second inquiry that if I wanted a refund I shouldn't have taken it out of the box.  She's talking about refunds from the postal service -- that's not who I'm looking for a refund from!  The idea is that the only liability is that of the postal service for damage during shipment, but that THEY won't refund anything because I didn't photograph the unopened package and then not open it.  How could I tell the item was defective without opening the box??  The defect was not caused by the postal service -- it was a garbage item!

I have a dispute open with Paypal, which I guess the next step is to escalate to a claim.  The seller's response sounds pretty bogus to me.

I apologize to mods if a previous post was deleted because it included some of what the seller and I have said to one another, but I don't know how to get an answer to this question without indicating what is going on!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Seller refusing refund

You're right, it isn't the postal service that is responsible for refunding you. If the seller had insurance and feels that it really is the post office's fault then they should refund you and then put in a claim with the post office. If the seller isn't responding to the Paypal claim or if they are refusing to refund then yes, you will have to escalate it.

It is too bad though that you didn't open the claim on ebay as they require  that a seller pay for return shipping if an item is not as described. However, if the seller is overseas, it is iffy that they would have had to pay for return shipping.

Paypal always requires that the buyer pay return shipping if the seller wants the item back before they refund. Shipping with tracking can be expensive. If the seller is overseas then it is likely that return shipping will cost more than the item itself.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Seller refusing refund

The seller is in the USA.  And yes, return shipping with tracking costs more than the item is worth -- certainly in its current state!  (It could be salvaged but that would cost more money for repairs.)

I looked again at the photos I took the day it arrived, and I do have a couple of the parcel and unwrapped item box, although they don't show the whole box, but enough to show there's nothing wrong with the package

It was not till after I opened a dispute on Paypal, that while trying to figure out what to do next, I found hidden somewhere in the 'help' section, a page saying you should claim eBay items on eBay and non-eBay items on Paypal.  But if that's the case, then why does Paypal let you do it...?!  So it was really not clear where I should have opened a dispute at first -- one, the other, or both!

She claims that since the item was listed as 'vintage', the only liability is from the postal service's handling.  But, it was also described as new and NRFB.  Smiley Mad

So what happens after you escalate a claim?  I've never had to do this before.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Seller refusing refund

If PP denies your claim, you can still go to another appeal.

There is a 1-800 number on the back of the credit card you really paid with. PP is just a useful mediator, masking your financial information from strangers.

Phone and ask the customer rep about a chargeback.

Have all your details (dates, payment, currency, problem etcetera) handy to help her process your refund.

Cards do have deadlines, PP has apparently extended theirs to 180 days and you probably won't get longer than that from your card. So act promptly but not until you have been disappointed by PP.

Some cards will want you to return the item to the seller. PP wants proof of Delivery. Some cards do to , but others will accept proof of Shipping.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Seller refusing refund

She claims that since the item was listed as 'vintage', the only liability is from the postal service's handling.  But, it was also described as new and NRFB.  :smileymad:

The seller is confused.

A seller is responsible for that item until it is delivered to you in the condition that it was advertised. It doesn't matter if it was new, used vintage etc. If it is not in the same condition as described in their listing then it is up to the seller to refund you. If it was damaged by the post office, it is up to the seller to refund you.

So what happens after you escalate a claim?  I've never had to do this before.

More than likely Paypal will tell you to return the item for a refund.  If that happens I would probably show the seller the part of ebay's money back guarantee that says the seller pays for return shipping. As I said, Paypal doesn't require the seller to pay for that but I would at least try to get the seller to pay for the shipping since it was their mistake that caused this problem.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Seller refusing refund

the credit card you really paid with

Ha ha -- you know, I *did*.  Although looking at their website, I don't see my card listed among those offering buyer protection.  ???, I was sure it did, but I'll dig out my agreement fine-print and look further if Paypal doesn't help.

I don't think the seller's really confused; I think she's just B.S.-ing me and stalling.  I'm surprised at this from someone with 100% feedback and good comments.  Oh well, first time for everything.  I'm giving her one last chance by suggesting a partial refund to cover the cost of repairing the item -- it is salvageable, but I would have to pour some more money into it, and at this point it's worth about 20% of what I paid for it.  I expect she will ignore that message too.  Then will escalate the claim, with plenty of photo evidence.

Sigh.

Thanks, both, for your comments!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Seller refusing refund

"someone with 100% feedback and good comments. ..."

Even sellers with 100% feedback may run out of money from time to time and need to "stall" a resolution or refund until money is available.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Seller refusing refund

Maybe, but ignoring the buyer's messages doesn't bode well.  Sellers in those circumstances should communicate and tell the buyer their situation.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply