Shill bidding

I have caught a highly reputable seller shell bidding. I have bought several items from this seller. I have reported the seller to EBAY. My question is. Can I recoup any of my money back? The money I over spent trying to win the items. The seller is American and mainly sells purses(Michael Corrs, Coach, ect) and jewellery. This seller has ripped off hundreds...maybe thousands of buyers!!

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Shill bidding

How do you know for sure that the seller was shill bidding?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

@hotvwchick wrote:

I have caught a highly reputable seller shell bidding. I have bought several items from this seller. I have reported the seller to EBAY. My question is. Can I recoup any of my money back? The money I over spent trying to win the items. The seller is American and mainly sells purses(Michael Corrs, Coach, ect) and jewellery. This seller has ripped off hundreds...maybe thousands of buyers!!

Only if they are selling fakes.

Or if you can consider the long shot of small claims court (difficult with cross border court systems).

If they disappear as a seller then eBay might have found enough evidence to shut them down,

-..-

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

Hope you didn't buy any Michael Corrs.  If that's the name in the purse, it's a fake.  This designer is MICHAEL KORS (logo is MK)

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

The surest way to know that a shill is working an auction is that the top bidder consistently retracts his bid, leaving the underbidder as the high bidder.

This has been harder to spot since eBay started masking bidders' names,which was done to fix a different kind of fraud.

As a buyer the way to combat this is to bid late (with a last second snipe, possibly electronic) bid once and bid your maximum,leaving no time for the shill to bid you up.

Can I recoup any of my money back?

Not if the auction was shilled.

You are deemed to have bid of your own free will. The auction did not go above the maximum bid you made.

If you bid $100, and bidding rises to $95, you are still the winner.

If a shill then bids $105, your $100 is revealed.

If the shill then retracts, your $100 bid is now the high bid and you win.

But that $100 would have won, unless another honest bidder had bid $105 (or $200).

Reporting your suspicions that the auctions are being shilled is one thing.

Winning those auctions at a bid you placed, is another.

We are all supposed to be grownups.

sells purses(Michael Corrs,

If you have received products that are counterfeit, open an Item Not As Described dispute as soon as you receive it.

You will be told to return the item to the seller, but he is supposed to send you return postage.

You will be refunded.

And report the counterfeiter to the manufacturer, who can take more drastic legal action. Counterfeiting is against the law, but normally it is the owner of the brand who pursues the case.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

I am suspecting  a shill billing seller.  he is listed as reputable seller but if I bid early he seems uses two aliases to bid against me.  I have bought several items from him at a fair price but now he seems to be bidding up the auctions.  Why would an Item be bid against and then show immediately after the auction that the item was immediately withdrawn by the seller once the item has been auctioned to them.    Then I see the same item show up on the non-auction site?  I buy several items per month but don't want him to continue to bid on auctions.   If his shill bidding account is deleted then he just sets up another.   Seems to have several of these already.  His bidding pattern is listed and I can see what he is doing. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

if I report him to Ebay nothing will be done. He moves a lot of product through them that are non-auction. Just an auction should be a fair thing without this shill **bleep** happening I think I should write him a note.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

The first way to combat a shilled auction is not to bid at all.

The second way is to bid as late as possible, using a sniping service which will place your bid seconds before closing, making the "expose and retract" bid impossible.

The third way is to buy only from Fixed Price listings, which also gives you over five times more choices since Auctions are a dying part of eBay and most of those are in Collectibles.

immediately after the auction that the item was immediately withdrawn by the seller once the item has been auctioned to them.

The seller may be plagued by thrill bidders or an angry former customer or a competitor, who is bidding up the auctions and then refusing to pay. The seller can deal with those by Blocking bidders or with UID Strikes.

The seller may have multiples of the same item, but only auction them one at a time to make them more attractive.

The seller is stupid. If he is shilling he is paying FVF for all those auctions, without ever getting any payment for them.

Of these, based on your FB for various sellers, who seem to sell mass manufactured items, the second is the most likely.

And those are the kind of items that are a poor fit for auctions.

but if I bid early he seems uses two aliases to bid against me. I

Which could also mean he has some very loyal customers.

And those customers use the "bid once, bid your maximum, bid late" strategy.

Your own feedback also indicates that you have done a lot of bidding with a small number of companies.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Shill bidding

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 9 of 9
latest reply