Super slow shipping from China runs into Ebay tlime limits... what to do?

deontaz
Community Member

I am perplexed.  

I ordered quite a lot of small electronics parts from China in the Spring of 2017 -- March, April, early May.  Some of these orders are still trickling in as of July!  Of course I had to re-order some parts from US or Canadian sources to have any hope of getting my projects done on time, so now I have duplicate parts wandering in...

I find it just maddening, trying to keep track of all this stuff;  even with a printed copy of my purchase history as a checklist, it's a big effort to identify incoming packages after this much elapsed time.  Also, the Chinese vendors often do not mark packages with their ebay ID or include any paperwork, so sometimes it's anyone's guess which order of capacitors or breadboards just arrived.

I also find that Ebay has some kind of cutoff -- 90 days (?) after order date -- for active items in my Purchase History.  So even though these items are coming in and I would like to leave feedback for sellers, I am no longer permitted to leave feedback -- it's not shown as an option in my Purchase History for these older items.

What a Catch-22!  I am now going to look like a bad buyer, because I am not leaving feedback for quite a lot of transactions.  And the vendors -- I'm assuming it's not their fault that the shipping is so slow -- are not going to get fair feedback even though they did fulfill the order, so they are going to look like worse sellers than they really are.  I don't like to be a flake -- I try to leave feedback for every purchase.  But when stuff arrives this late, I'm prevented from completing the transaction properly.

Given that all kinds of people seem to be experiencing loooong, frustrating, confusing shipping times for items from China in particular, can we request that Ebay extend the cutoff date for purchased items, so that we can continue to leave feedback for items that arrive more than 90 days after purchase date?  There must be at least 30 items that I now cannot leave feedback for, which I would like to.

Ebay's delay-intolerant deadlines create other problems.  I am even now attempting to get a refund for an item which is 2 months overdue based on estimated delivery date.  I have waited this extra long time because I know about the slow shipping issue;  I don't want to get a refund and then have the item show up, that would be dishonest.  But by being a nice person and waiting that long, I've now lost my Ebay money-back guarantee and can only hope that the vendor will believe me and refund my purchase price.

In summary, these unreasonably long shipping times work to derail the entire (usually very orderly and functional) Ebay purchase/feedback cycle.  What are other people doing about this?  Can Ebay policies be adjusted to accommodate these delays?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Super slow shipping from China runs into Ebay tlime limits... what to do?

Paypal allows you to open an Item Not Received Dispute for 180 days from payment.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller.

If you have a tracking number than confirms the shipment is in Canada, you can decide whether or not to open the Dispute.

The shipment will arrive eventually.

But remember that if it does arrive and you have close the INR dispute you cannot open a new Not As Described dispute.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The items in your Purchase History expire after 60 days.

Paypal allows you to open cases up to 180 days.

The delay is due to Customs inspection.

For anything time-sentisive, I would not rely on overseas shipping. Especially free overseas shipping. You get what you pay for in terms of shipping speed and postage costs. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

any item that is longer than the estimated delivery, you need to file for item not received, then when and if it arrives you can pay the seller through paypal. you will have a paper trail through paypal, if it has not been received by estimated delivery date, then request a refund and reorder the item. do not accept a replacement has been shipped explanation..

and lastly if you need an item in a timely order . please order it from North America. maybe a tiny bit more expensive, but will be received in a timely manner..

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Paypal allows you to open an Item Not Received Dispute for 180 days from payment.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller.

If you have a tracking number than confirms the shipment is in Canada, you can decide whether or not to open the Dispute.

The shipment will arrive eventually.

But remember that if it does arrive and you have close the INR dispute you cannot open a new Not As Described dispute.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

deontaz wrote:

In summary, these unreasonably long shipping times work to derail the entire (usually very orderly and functional) Ebay purchase/feedback cycle.  What are other people doing about this?  Can Ebay policies be adjusted to accommodate these delays?

eBay has already adjusted its estimated delivery date algorithm to give items from China extra time to arrive.  And let's be realistic. In this day and age of jet travel, it really shouldn't take sixty to 120 days for an item to be transported from Beijing to Winnipeg.

deontaz wrote:

Ebay's delay-intolerant deadlines create other problems.  I am even now attempting to get a refund for an item which is 2 months overdue based on estimated delivery date.  I have waited this extra long time because I know about the slow shipping issue;  I don't want to get a refund and then have the item show up, that would be dishonest.  But by being a nice person and waiting that long, I've now lost my Ebay money-back guarantee and can only hope that the vendor will believe me and refund my purchase price.

As pointed out earlier, PayPal policies give you 180 days from date of purchase to file a case for a not-received item.

If you file a claim with eBay or PayPal, receive a refund, and have the item arrive after that, simply repay the seller what you owe them.  You should be able to find the item in your PayPal history and an email address for the seller.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

deontaz
Community Member

Just to follow up on (and close) this topic -- I think a very late container ship finally straggled in, because in early/mid July I received a whole bunch of stuff I had ordered in March and early April (!) -- all of which I had given up on, and was resigned to having to open a stack of Paypal disputes.  I have no idea why the Chinese container-ship post is so insanely slow, but at least I know the vendors are honest and do really send the stuff I have ordered.  It's too bad about the feedback but I guess it's kind of fair -- if you ship that slowly, you wouldn't get very positive feedback anyway, so maybe silence is the best diplomacy.

Thanks to everyone who helped to clarify this situation for me.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I agree while heartedly with everything you said. Perhaps one solution, even for less expensive items, is a registered mail option. I truly hate waiting on the promise (usually in fairness done promptly) of your item being shipped, and the estimated delivery come and go. I feel terrible asking for a refund, and usually the item shows up the next day when the seller has performed their duties properly.

I saw the suggestion of paying for it through PayPal if it shows up afterwards, but was wondering if someone could explain how to safely do so?
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I feel terrible asking for a refund, and usually the item shows up the next day when the seller has performed their duties properly.

Murphy's Law

suggestion of paying for it through PayPal if it shows up afterwards,

Find the original transaction on your PP account.

Copy the email.

Go to Money at the top of the page.

Choose Send Money.

Enter the email /PP account ID

Enter the amount.

Send.

A polite note giving the eBay and/or PP transaction number would be helpful to the seller.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Me too - three items not delivered. The seller, from China, says it takes 30 days or more to ship to Canada.

NEW RULES 2019?? - eBay won't help because it is past the 30 day limit, and PayPal now refers all eBay transactions back to eBay - no help at all.

Also,  both PayPal and eBay have MENUs to navigate, and they do not let me send any message whatsoever to either of them. {i.e. "put the item number" ; "too late"]

So I say that eBay has lost its way, letting China rip us off, and so why would I trust eBay or PayPal with any transactions - I QUIT and if more of us QUIT then maybe they would start to listen.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The 30 day eBay coverage is from last estimated delivery date NOT from time of purchase.

Buyers should open an Item-Not-Received case when the delivery date is passed.

-..-

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

There has been no change since this ZOMBIE thread was started in 2017.

Has the last estimated delivery date you were given by eBay passed?

You have 30 days from that date to open an INR dispute.

If that date is (for example) June 21, you can now open a Dispute.

If that date were July 21, you will not be able to open a Dispute until July 22, but you will still be able to open one until August 21.

If the last estimated date +30 days has passed, eBay will not allow a Dispute.

Did you go to the Paypal Resolution Centre under Tools on your PP account page?

PP will not allow a dispute if the last estimated date for delivery has passed, but they will allow it for 180 days from Purchase.

That's six months.

It is generally a Bad Idea to go to the phone clerks until you have used the robotic Resolution Centre first.  There is usually a language/culture problem. For example, the US clerks are a little vague on the concept of "Canada".

If worse comes to worst, you can go to the credit card you back your PP account with, phone the 1-800 number and ask about a chargeback.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 12 of 12
latest reply