US to Canada UPS hazmat fees

Ive been trying to purchase a chemical for awhile now from a US seller that HAS to go by ups ground because it is a hazmat item. When trying to calculate the cost to my door will the price of fees increase because it is ground and hazmat?

I looked through the cost calculator and email customer support but got no answers. I know normally Canadians should avoid international shipments by ups but this is a medical item that cant be shipped by another courier, will my brokage fees be outrageous?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Hard to say for sure, but ground shipping is usually cheaper (and slower) than air shipping.

As for the 'hazmat' part, I would think the seller has massaged the price of the goods to include secure packaging. Then it is up to the seller to find a shipper who will carry the material.

As for brokerage, that consists of Canadian duty, Canadian sales taxes, and the shippers service fee/customs brokerage fee.

The product may or may not be subject to duty.

You can do your homework here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d10/d10-14-30-eng.html

Your province may or may not charge sales tax on medical products.

And the same goes for the GST. More homework.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gm/4-2/README.html

Note that even if there is no duty charged, if the value of the import is over $20CDN, sales taxes will be assessed.

And then there is the customs brokerage charge.

That starts around $25 for most couriers and is based on the value of the imported product.

If a seller uses 'express' shipping, it costs her more at the courier's counter, but all the fees should be included in that shipping fee. However, 'express' usually means the courier will use air shipping, which can't be used in this case.

No answers here, just a few more questions and a couple of signposts.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

UPS Brokerage fees:

https://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html?WT.mc_id=VAN7000411

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Are you absolutely certain you can import the substance? Yes to check so it isn't seized at the border by Customs. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=C

CANADA
(Country code: CA)

Services Available

For a list of postal services available to Canada, contact the country of origin's postal administration.

Import Restrictions

Senders should determine import restrictions from Canadian authorities before posting:

• copyright works
  • currency
  • dead animals, including wild birds or their parts
  • diamonds (rough)
  • drugs and other controlled substances
  • eggs, milk and other dairy products
  • films
  • fish, game, meat, poultry, fruit, vegetables and their products
  • intoxicating liquors
  • liquids, liquefiable substances and powders
  • live chicks, parasites, leeches, bees and bees' wax
  • medical material, including specimens
  • plants, seeds, fruits, bark, plant parts and soil
  • seed potatoes, onions and other raw root crops
  • tobacco
  • wheat, straw, bran, chaff, barley and their products.

Alcoholic Beverages

The importation of alcoholic beverages (including wine) to Canada is strictly prohibited unless being mailed to a Provincial Liquor Board or Commission, or to a manufacturer or distributor of such beverages in Canada.

Periodicals

Canada prohibits periodicals:

• that contain advertisement primarily directed to a Canadian market and which does not appear in identical form in all copies of that issue in the country of origin
  • in which more than five per cent of the advertising content indicates specifically where goods or services may be obtained in Canada, or indicates specific terms or conditions relating to the sale or provision of goods or services in Canada.

Tobacco products

Tobacco and tobacco products may be imported for personal consumption in limited quantities, provided that they meet the requirements of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Importation of tobacco products must also meet the requirements of the Tobacco Departmental Regulations available at the following website: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/E-14.1/sor-2003-288/219094.html and the Tobacco Act at: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/T-11.5/.

NOTE: Labelling and stamping requirements of the Tobacco Departmental Regulations do not apply when an individual imports five (5) or less units of packaged tobacco. A unit is defined as: 200 cigarettes; 50 cigars; 400 tobacco sticks; or 400 g of manufactured tobacco.

Electronic smoking products (i.e. electronic products for the vaporization and administration of inhaled doses of nicotine including electronic cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos and pipes, as well as cartridges of nicotine solutions and related products) currently require market authorization by Health Canada prior to being imported. Failure to obtain this authorization will result in your items being refused entry by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). For additional information, refer to the Notice - To All Persons Interested in Importing, Advertising or Selling Electronic Smoking Products in Canada on the Department of Health Canada website at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/applic-demande/pol/notice_avis_e-cig-eng.php.

Prohibited Items

In addition to items considered non-mailable matter by the Canada Post Corporation Act & Regulations (refer to the Canada Postal Guide under "Non-mailable Matter"), the following are prohibited:

• bee-keeping apparatus, used
  • chain letters and other literature pertaining to fraudulent schemes
  • contraceptive devices and literature
  • corrosives, nuclear substances or oxidizing substances
  • counterfeit or imitation coins
  • explosive, flammable or combustible liquids, gases or solids
  • firearms, weapons and ammunition
  • gold bullion, gold dust or non-manufactured metals
  • hate propaganda
  • live animals
  • manufactured goods bearing insufficient markings or origin
  • margarine or butter substitutes
  • metallic labels
  • obscene, immoral, indecent or scurrilous matter
  • poisonous or infectious substances
  • prison-made goods
  • unlawful lottery tickets and advertising.
Documentation Required

Information regarding Customs can be found in "Customs Requirements" of the Canada Postal Guide.

Invoice

Commercial consignments valued at more than $1,200CDN must be accompanied by a certified invoice. The sender must send three copies separately to the addressee and include one copy in the article.

Gifts

Canada admits duty-free gifts up to $60CDN in value that are labelled UNSOLICITED GIFT.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Are you absolutely certain you can import the substance? Yes to check so it isn't seized at the border by Customs. 

The way I'm reading the question, the hurdle isn't that the item has customs prohibitions or restrictions placed on it.  It's carrier restrictions that are the issue.

The list from CBSA posted on the Canada Post site doesn't list much in the way of hazardous materials.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

My post relates to the possibility there may be more than one restriction at play. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also read this:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp

Good general advice, but one should keep in mind that that page is concerned about items in the mail system, not items shipped by other carriers, and it's not necessarily about items with import restrictions or prohibitions.  The OP has already stated that UPS Ground is the only carrier that appears to have provisions for shipping his item.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Exactly. There's a reason for that. 

Knowledge is power. The OP had questions, I'm answering them. Do you disagree?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Knowledge is power. The OP had questions, I'm answering them. Do you disagree?

I thought the OP was asking about additional fees levied by UPS on ground shipments of hazardous materials.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

When I'm in the market for hazardous materials, I like to know everything I can about importing them. Don't you?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

When I'm in the market for hazardous materials, I like to know everything I can about importing them. Don't you?

Sounds like the OP has done his or her homework if they've concluded that the only way to import what they want is through UPS Ground.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply