Unreachable sellers? Unacceptable!

Hello,

Today, I wanted to draw a seller's attention on a mistake in one of their ads on EBay, just to kindly help their business.

Unfortunately, when I clicked on the link to ''ask a question'' to that seller, went through their pre-programmed answers and clicked that I still wanted to contact them, a message appeared saying that they could not respond due to the high volume of questions they receive.

Suddenly, my intendedly kind gesture turned into frustration and I thought: what a perfect little vicious circle to avoid customers!

I think this practice should not be allowed on EBay. Customers should have the right to contact sellers at all times, and in busy periods, a message should appear saying that the seller may need some time to respond due to a high volume of...

To be cut off with no option to contact them is simply unacceptable.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If you look right down at the bottom of that list you will see an icon "other" hit that one and then click on "continue" and a screen will come up, type in your question and put in the numbered code that will be required to and then bingo - your done.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

when I clicked on the link to ''ask a question'' to that seller, went through their pre-programmed answers and clicked that I still wanted to contact them, a message appeared saying that they could not respond due to the high volume of questions they receive.

The seller may not be to blame for this message.  It sounds to me as if you may have got an automated response from eBay's system. 

Try "rosscd"s suggestion and see if you can bypass eBay to get directly to the seller. 

I must admit that, as a buyer wanting a specific answer to a specific question, I always find this "ask seller a question" function annoying.  But that's not the seller's fault -- eBay has decided to filter FAQs for sellers, presumably on the basis that it will save sellers from having to answer the same questions over and over again. 

As far as I know, we sellers can't opt out of this "service" (although personally I'd much prefer to get rid of it, as I'd like my sellers to be able to go straight through to me to ask a question).

Don't be put off by this quirk of eBay's.  I think most sellers are more than happy to answer questions from buyers. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Sellers have the option of blocking anyone from asking a question.

I too have encountered this situation ... Seller had a problem with their listing.

Accept this as a reality... No need to be frustrated....

A reality on eBay... Seller's choice!

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If you look right down at the bottom of that list you will see an icon "other" hit that one and then click on "continue" and a screen will come up, type in your question and put in the numbered code that will be required to and then bingo - your done.

I doubt that the OP would reach that screen in this situation. It sounds like the seller has blocked all questions. Not many sellers do that and I think it is a mistake to do so..but it can be done.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

As far as I know, we sellers can't opt out of this "service" (although personally I'd much prefer to get rid of it, as I'd like my sellers to be able to go straight through to me to ask a question).

You can opt out of it.Go to Account....Manage communications with buyers and then scroll to the bottom so that you can edit the Q & A function.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for you kind suggestion. I'm willing to try this, but what is that ''list'' you're referring to, in which I shall find the ''other'' option at the bottom? I'm looking for that ''other'' option but the only one I found so far is the ''see other items'' option, associated with the seller's ad. Clicking on this leads me to their E-Bay store...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

What is the listing number for which you need to contact the seller?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

You know I almost completely agree it is unacceptable but on the other hand if the seller is high volume and has everything in the description then no need for contact because everythign that needs to be known is just a quick 1 minute read ..

If I was high volume and I took a long time to make sure all listings were perfect I would probably do the same because well what is the point in a bunch of messages that are asking things that are already answered..

I know personally 70% of all the questions I get asked the answer can be found in the listing ..

Example buyer states no shipping to canada and has 30 people ask the to ship to canada well guess what somone didn't read and is now wasting the sellers time..

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

"but on the other hand if the seller is high volume and has everything in the description"

I have seen that from American sellers selling domestically only.  They block all inquiries from outside their country.  They do not want to be bothered and that is their right.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I used to ask US sellers that didn't ship to Canada if they would 'consider shipping to Canada to someone with exemplary payment and feedback history' if there was something I was unable to acquire   from another seller.  I had 100% compliance with my request, and didn't feel I was wasting the sellers' time.  Often the seller just never considered it, or didn't realize it was an easy thing to do after all.    WIN-WIN.    Now, of course, buyer feedback is practically meaningless, so I wouldn't  have that ace in the hole any longer.

I am reminded of comments  spoken by  hairdressersdentists/etc - 'do they think they're so important I should drop everything to accommodate them on the spur of the moment just because they suddenly want a haircut/etc.'   And yet, the next time they have a customer who DOESNT call ( or worse - phones another venue for a spur-of-the-moment appointment ) rather than 'insult' their original venue by asking - the response is, 'Oh why didn't you just call me!!  I had a cancellation that day, and could have used the booking!!'  

'Buyer' may just have found themselves a new and improved venue....

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

ya Myself I have had a few small US seller ship after I spoke with them and Explained things but I still think big volume sellers no what they want and do this for a reason which is usually they don't need the risk of Lost Goods or low DSR as there are so many buyers who think shipping is expensive ..

New small sellers probably will just aren't familiar with things..

Big high volume sellers don't wanna be bugged and know what they want..

I have been known to ignore a few messages from buyers in countries that are in my exclusion list and not because i felt like it but I am so crazy busy that every second does count and telling someone something that is already stated is a second I am not willing to give up sometimes .. Even though the good guy in my feels bad for not responding I do not feel like going on Canada post checking things out ..Telling the buyer it cost $40-$180 to ship there item to get the reply that is crazy I something china or US or yada yada ... booooo

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I think you're my biggest volume seller Brande, so I will heed your words and be sure to not bug  you when BB comes out 😉

wham bam cheque's in the mail, dvd's in the mail 5 stars FINI !!  😉

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Hrmmm..I Went back and added j/k about the cheque but it deleted itself

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

and be sure not to bug you when BB comes out.

Hey, open season on everyone almond, including Brande.

The playful jabs between the regulars are what make the boards fun.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Ha, that was BB - not bb 😉 

Breaking Bad, are you?!  Because that's what I was "jabbing" brande about, L0L!

I should have specified BB5:)

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Another generalization from bb today. 

Surprise, Surprise!

Glad it rarely happens. 😉

Message 17 of 17
latest reply