Very Unethical Seller. What should I do?

prokon24
Community Member

I recently won an item #321615795756

I contacted the seller THREE times prior to the auction ending for a quote on shipping to canada. ad states worldwide shipping available please contact for price.

Seller neglected to respond to my 3 messages. auction ends and I win the item.

ask for an invoice. seller invoices me for a shipping cost roughly 3x times the actual cost. seller tells me i shouldnt have bid if i didnt want to pay for shipping lol and accepts no accountability for not replying to any of the 3 message they received prior to the auction ending.

seller tells me they ship for 12.00USD to the US. fair enough I have arrangements made to ship the item to the US.

When I re checked the AD the seller actually states a shipping Charge of 5.25USD for US shipping.

Constant source of lies.

What a piece of work.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

prokon24
Community Member

Apparently this does not comply with Ebays code of conduct

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?&query=603

Wish there was a way to hold sellers accountable for misuse of Ebay policy.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

When a seller does not respond to your queries about costs, why would you go ahead and bid anyway?

Why do you think it would get better?

Sigh.

EBay believes if you go ahead and bid, you are effectively saying, 'I'll pay any shipping charge you want because I must have this item and no other.'

And about the inflated shipping charge.

US sellers are paranoid about being cheated by furriners. The whole Global Shipping Program mess is based on the xenophobia and paranoia of US sellers.

While it may be possible to ship within the US with Confirmation of Delivery for a quarter (purchased online), the equivalent coverage for international shipping starts around $25.

US sellers can ship to Canada for much less, with DC, but most do not know about this fairly recent coverage.

Generally I agree with you that the seller is wrong, but you have to take some responsibility too.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

reallynicestamps

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you. I am responsible for placing a bid on an item which was posted by a poor seller.  I honestly didnt think I was going to win the item as my max bid was fairly low. I was actually hoping to get outbid lol. I always contact sellers and wait for a response before I commit to buy or bid on any  auction. This was a one time exception.

Do sellers have an allotted time to send you an invoice post auction ending?

Is it reasonable if a seller says an invoice will be sent 3 days after an auction ends because they are busy at a Christmas party?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Since it would take less time to send the invoice than to send the email, no.

The average IQ is 100. This means half the population is below that. Explains so much about daily life, doesn't it?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If I found the shipping charge unfair I would have withdrawn my bid which you didn't,your only option other than paying the seller is,not paying and living with the outcome.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply