Why are items from China/Hong Kong showing up when I restrict search to North America?

Why are items from China/Hong Kong showing up in search results when I restrict search to North America?
This is NOT what I am looking for. I put in North America because I don't wan't to buy from off the continent, yet here I am having to wade through hundreds of ads that don't fit the criteria. It even says "North America" in the search results list, but when you click on the ad, it shows as shipping from Asia. How is this permitted?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Why are items from China/Hong Kong showing up when I restrict search to North America?

Agreed   It seems the campaign on BUY CANADIAN is a farce

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It's not permitted and if that's the case, it should be reported as either a violation or a technical glitch. 

Can you show us a screenshot? 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

izzame
Community Member

I had exactly the same thing happening every search and I had N. America selected, as yourself right from the beginning. I even logged in and out thinking that it was a little hicup but no for about 7 days, all day everyday.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I'm not seeing this when I do a search for stuff in Toys. Selecting North America shows me only USA and Canada sellers. What category is affected?
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It affects lots of categories. This particular one is for a Samsung QI charger.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

yet here I am having to wade through hundreds of ads that don't fit the criteria.

In the short run, try Searching with Highest Price First.

The higher priced items are more likely to be accurately described.

Then drill down through dozens (instead of wading up through hundreds) to find your price poin.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@sewwhatbc wrote:

... It even says "North America" in the search results list, but when you click on the ad, it shows as shipping from Asia. How is this permitted?

It's called drop shipping.

An honest drop shipper, however, correctly sets the location where the item is being shipped from.

If location is not properly listed you can report it using the Report Item link (same line as the Description / Shipping and Payments tabs) for the actual listing. Example: listing says "Located in Canada" and the item is shipped from outside Canada.

capture listing report.jpg

-..-

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That will be a pretty tedious process since we are talking HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of items. Ebay should have it set up to prevent that. If a seller is in the US, it should automatically prevent them from changing the shipping location. To take care of drop shippers, they could easily implement a form especially for them that would make it clear to the buyer and could prevent those items from appearing in North American location searches.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

In the short run, try Searching with Highest Price First.

The higher priced items are more likely to be accurately described.

Then drill down through dozens (instead of wading up through hundreds) to find your price poin.

But I shouldn't have to do that. Ebay should be on top of this stuff.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

All my searches are arranged by Highest Price. Always.

It's the only way to avoid the chaff at the bottom, stuff I don't want to see for any reason. 

And it takes way less time to find what I want that way. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply