Why does it take 3 weeks to receive an item shipped from Ontario to Alberta

timtoo13
Community Member

I ordered an item listed as being in North York, ON to be shipped to Lethbridge, AB. The estimated delivery time is 3 weeks. Is this being shipped by pony express? Or is it being shipped from China

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@timtoo13 wrote:

I ordered an item listed as being in North York, ON to be shipped to Lethbridge, AB. The estimated delivery time is 3 weeks. Is this being shipped by pony express? Or is it being shipped from China

Too fast to be shipped from China.

And don't forget August 1 is a postal holiday in 11 of the 13 provinces and territories.

-..-

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

While I personally allow 20 days for delivery* from anywhere in North America and 30 days from Asia, Canada Post is usually more optimistic.

And usually I am surprised at how quickly I do receive my purchases.

However, with the continuing labour negotiations at Canada Post, it is possible that CPO and eBay are being pessimistic on purpose.

Better to say something will arrive in 20 days and have it arrive in 10 than to say it will arrive in 10 days and have it arrive in eleven.

Mark the pessimistic expected delivery date (both of them, since there is usually an early and a later date) and then see when it does arrive.

*Based on over 30 years buying and selling by mail order domestically and internationally.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

FWIW, I also find that Amazon's delivery estimates are wildly pessimistic.

Underpromising and overdelivering, so to speak.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If you bought this during the lockout period, ebay added extra time to your delivery estimate.

Also, some sellers were smart to add extra days of handling time to their estimates due to sketchy mail service while there is labour strife.

Do you have tracking on this? Have you contacted your seller?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

There is no tracking and I can't contact the seller as EBay won't release the contact info...

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The Provincial Holiday is lonly 1 day, not longer!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Go to your purchase history and click on contact seller.   When did you make the purchase? If the item is marked as shipped and there is no tracking, contacting the seller isn't going to do any good unless the estimated arrival time has past.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You also need to consider the seller's handling time, plus the date it was purchased. Between July 2 and July 19 when the threat of a postal strike-lockout was most immediate, eBay extended delivery estimates.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I took a look at the seller and I believe that although the seller may be in Ontario, the goods are being shipped from China. So 3 weeks to a month would be reasonable. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You're making assumptions the seller in question is the one who last left feedback for the buyer which is possible but not guaranteed. (And the delivery estimate states three to eight business days.) 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

That is eBay's estimated delivery 'window' based on the seller's submissions when the listing(s) were created.

It doesn't take 3 weeks to receive an item shipped from Ontario to Alberta.

IMO, If the seller is diligent and appreciates your patronage, you should have received the item by now.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Sorry, I wasn't making assumptions as the feedback was from a seller from North York.  It just may be a fluke but it seem to me this is who the OP is talking about.  

north york.jpg

Message 13 of 13
latest reply