Why don't Canadian seller post Canadian shipping rates?

For the second time this month, I have purchased from a Canadian Seller and they have not posted rates to ship within Canada.  Anyone know why?  I have seen this practice many times.  The first seller was a nightmare.  I finally gave up and told her to ship to USA and paid the rate.  She then shipped to Canada.  I hope the second one will be a bit more professional and will give me a straight answer within 24 hours.

I would think that sellers who insist on selling on Canadian sites would list Canadian rates too.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

hlmacdon
Community Member

A few things that effect this. Lots of inexperienced sellers, an overly confusing domestic postage system, and many seller who typically don't sell very much in Canada and instead base their entire listing model around shipping to the US.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If the first seller posted to eBaydot COM, she would not be required to give a shipping cost to Canada, only  a"domestic" rate to the USA.

It seems foolish at first, but given regional pricing for anything over 2cm thick and 500 grams in weight, she may have decided not to use "Flat Rate from an International Location" for her few Canadian customers.

It's probably best with those few sellers to contact them BEFORE bidding and ask for a firm quote based on your postal code.

If she were selling on dotCA she would be required to give a domestic shipping rate, this time to Canada.

The 'location' on the listing is the location of the product, not the site.

if she indicates that she ships worldwide, her listing would appear on dotCA. In Search the price would be in loonies, but on the actual listing the price would be in both the currency of the site and in loonies.

EASY.png

If only it were......

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

For the second time this month, I have purchased from a Canadian Seller and they have not posted rates to ship within Canada.  Anyone know why?  I have seen this practice many times.  The first seller was a nightmare.  I finally gave up and told her to ship to USA and paid the rate.  She then shipped to Canada.  I hope the second one will be a bit more professional and will give me a straight answer within 24 hours.

I would think that sellers who insist on selling on Canadian sites would list Canadian rates too.

Just out of curiosity, how do you calculate your shipping rates to Canada?  Do you think your method of calculating shipping to Canada would work for all Canadian sellers, regardless of shipping method chosen or the type of item being shipped?

I do agree that being kept waiting for a lengthy period of time (say, over twenty-four hours) for a shipping quote isn't generally great customer service.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply