Why so many cancelled auctions?

Constantly

This isn't a one off, this is a daily thing.

It's getting REALLY aggravating. I'm guessing the bids didn't go high enough for the seller's liking (not that that's really an excuse - that's what reserves are for) but a couple of these were things I was willing to pay quite a bit for and had pretty high maximum bids on, but no one else was bidding and they didn't have a Buy Now option.

Do the sellers get some kind of benefit from listing something without a reserve that makes it easier to cancel auctions than to list them properly in the first place?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

When bidding you should bid your max bid, what you want to pay for the item.  If the bidding goes higher, and you lose, you should not feel bad, after all, you have bid your max.  The winner was happy to bid higher.  That's the auction game.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Aside.  Sellers can cancel any listing, if there are no bids.  If there are bids, there has to be a reason.  Mostly location they don't ship to.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

When bidding you should bid your max bid, what you want to pay for the item.  If the bidding goes higher, and you lose, you should not feel bad, after all, you have bid your max.  The winner was happy to bid higher.  That's the auction game.

What? What does this have to do with what I posted at all?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What reason did the seller give you when they cancelled the listing?  You would have had a message from them if you were bidding on a listing they cancelled.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

What reason did the seller give you when they cancelled the listing?  You would have had a message from them if you were bidding on a listing they cancelled.

I am aware of that. If you look at the image I posted you will see I received multiple emails from ebay about multiple auctions being cancelled by multiple sellers within a 24 hour period, so that should tell you I had bids on all of those auctions (why else would I receive those emails?) and if you read what I posted you would see that I get roughly that many emails about cancelled auctions that I have bid on every day. 

The reasons are usually "no longer available" but there is also the odd "lost or damaged" or "error in the listing". This happens so often (and usually with other listings on the same account for identical items that are left active after the auctions have been cancelled) that I don't actually believe any of the reasons given anyway.

Again, if you actually read the first post you will see that I am not asking about any specific listing. I am asking why so many sellers do this so often. My actual question was asking if there was some reason they would prefer to go to the extra work of cancelling auctions after they have been bid on rather than just listing them properly, with proper reserves and minimum bids.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

There is no benefit to being so very rude to the people who took the time to speak to you here. In fact, I think the long-term impact is that you will find more sellers unwilling to entertain your bids. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

And your Feedback Left For Others is likely the reason sellers don't want your business and are cancelling your bids while they still can.

If you want to people to play nicely with you on ebay, you have to play nicely with them. 

A tough truth to hear but now you have it.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Feedback left for others...

So if I don't receive an item, I shouldn't say so? I should just give 5 happy little stars and let other buyers think they'll get decent service from a seller who doesn't deliver? I didn't realize being honest about purchases was punishable offence.

And please explain to me why asking someone to read the original post on a forum thread before they reply to it is being rude. I think it's far ruder to reply with pointless information that has nothing to do with the original question. The poster put the time into giving you the information, if you don't want to put the time into reading it then don't bother replying. You're only wasting more of your time AND theirs.

I'm sorry. I mean OH THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT USELESS THINGS IT'S SO HELPFUL AND HAS MADE MY DAY SO MUCH EASIER EVEN THOUGH IT TAUGHT ME NOTHING NEW. YOU'RE SUCH AN AWESOME PERSON FOR DEIGNING TO RESPOND TO ME AT ALL. I FEEL SO HONORED.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

If you want others to play nicely with you on eBay, you need to play nicely with them. I don't have anything left to say. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

So if I don't receive an item, I shouldn't say so?

No.

You open an Item Not Received dispute and get your money back.

Money is more useful than revenge.

And try to take to heart Wil Wheaton's famous motto.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wheatons-law

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@poobunsdudley wrote:

Constantly

This isn't a one off, this is a daily thing.

It's getting REALLY aggravating. I'm guessing the bids didn't go high enough for the seller's liking (not that that's really an excuse - that's what reserves are for) but a couple of these were things I was willing to pay quite a bit for and had pretty high maximum bids on, but no one else was bidding and they didn't have a Buy Now option.

Do the sellers get some kind of benefit from listing something without a reserve that makes it easier to cancel auctions than to list them properly in the first place?

well i some time cancel because of buyers history of leaving bad nrg fb many pages of neg fb left for sellers that are ignorant plane and simple always something wrong not once or twice but dozens of times on multiple sales i would just as soon cancel as get neg fb bck from people wanting free items

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The fact that you are tagging all my replies on this thread with rude comments will absolutely not endear you to anyone here.

You may want to consider quitting that sort of behaviour before you put yourself at any greater disadvantage. Look inward to find the source of your difficulties in life. This will do you well in the long-term. 

Naturally, this too is advice to take or leave.

You came here to ask a question, and you got the answer. It's hardly our fault you didn't like the answer. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Hi folks! Please remember to keep the boards friendly and welcoming for everyone, further hostility/interpersonal disputes may result in this thread being closed.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

ebay sucks and you will never get help from them or paypal.

Consider yourself lucky if you never got **bleep**ed yet.

Mark

😄
Message 15 of 15
latest reply