Why the heck is shipping to Canada so **bleep** expensive?

What happened, eBay Canada?  I went away, and now I come back to find shipping rates have gone up, no exaggeration, about fourfold!  I don't have 10 hours to read about this Global Shipping Program nonsense, so someone simplify it for me: what's this ripoff?  And is eBay losing money ever since they instituted this stupid program?  Etsy beckons...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello "darkpowell",

Many, many people are wondering the same thing.   You say you've been away,  for how long?

<<I come back to find shipping rates have gone up ... about fourfold!>>

Well, shipping fees certainly seem to have risen a great deal lately.  A number of factors contribute

to that.

Back around 2011-2012 the Canadian dollar was high and shipping fees were, if not exactly low,

at least affordable.  Then the various carriers all seemed to have whopping rate increases at once.

In 2013 UK's Royal Mail rates took a huge leap skyward, and so did USPS rates, - shipping fees shot up

overnight.

Then the Canadian dollar started to decline making these new rates even more expensive for us here.

And then, - then came The Global Shipping Program.  

So yes, mail order has become more expensive, - not just on ebay but everywhere else too.

When shopping on ebay you can try to 'tailor' your perusals somewhat by first of all avoiding GSP listings.

You will know them when you scroll your search listings because they have the words:

Customs services and international tracking provided

in pale grey.  When you see those words, . . .  run.  Smiley Very Happy

Or, you can always ask the seller if he will take the listing out of GSP and offer to mail it USPS First Class 

thus enabling you to buy it.

You can also use the left column of the Search page to select  Item Location.  If you first try Canada Only,

items bought in Canada will come quickly and about as affordable as can be expected.  Canada Post is known

to be expensive, but they are extremely reliable.  They don't lose parcels.

The irritating thing is you have to keep readjusting your Search preferences because like everything else

on ebay, the 'default' settings are there to best serve the interest of increasing revenue for American sellers.

One of the things that makes that Global Shipping Program appear so expensive is that any item with a value

of $20 (Canadian) is subject to duties and taxes.  Items sent plain old First Class, whilst tracked for sellers, are

often just delivered to your door if they are, say, under $100.

The law requires the GSP apply duties/taxes to all values over $20.  That is perhaps the best reason to avoid GSP listings.

Other good reasons to avoid it include shipping delays, circuitous routes, opened and damaged parcels, . . .

Canada is such a small market we really don't count for much to a behemoth American company like ebay.

Just do everything you can for yourself to find what you want at a price you can afford, and yes, that includes

a wide variety of shopping around.

Best wishes. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

" what's this ripoff? "

It is not a ripoff.  It is a program started three years ago by eBay to help American sellers grow their business.  The extra costs are paid by buyers.  That program is generally not "buyer friendly" as far as Canadian buyers are concerned and should be avoided in most instances.

" And is eBay losing money ever since they instituted this stupid program? "

eBay is making more money since they started GSP.  Sales by Americans have increased (maybe not to Canada but overseas where the real potential is).  The program is also very helpful to PayPal since they charge an extra 1.00% on all "cross border" transactions.  That extra 1.00% is pure profit for PayPal.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hello "darkpowell",

Many, many people are wondering the same thing.   You say you've been away,  for how long?

<<I come back to find shipping rates have gone up ... about fourfold!>>

Well, shipping fees certainly seem to have risen a great deal lately.  A number of factors contribute

to that.

Back around 2011-2012 the Canadian dollar was high and shipping fees were, if not exactly low,

at least affordable.  Then the various carriers all seemed to have whopping rate increases at once.

In 2013 UK's Royal Mail rates took a huge leap skyward, and so did USPS rates, - shipping fees shot up

overnight.

Then the Canadian dollar started to decline making these new rates even more expensive for us here.

And then, - then came The Global Shipping Program.  

So yes, mail order has become more expensive, - not just on ebay but everywhere else too.

When shopping on ebay you can try to 'tailor' your perusals somewhat by first of all avoiding GSP listings.

You will know them when you scroll your search listings because they have the words:

Customs services and international tracking provided

in pale grey.  When you see those words, . . .  run.  Smiley Very Happy

Or, you can always ask the seller if he will take the listing out of GSP and offer to mail it USPS First Class 

thus enabling you to buy it.

You can also use the left column of the Search page to select  Item Location.  If you first try Canada Only,

items bought in Canada will come quickly and about as affordable as can be expected.  Canada Post is known

to be expensive, but they are extremely reliable.  They don't lose parcels.

The irritating thing is you have to keep readjusting your Search preferences because like everything else

on ebay, the 'default' settings are there to best serve the interest of increasing revenue for American sellers.

One of the things that makes that Global Shipping Program appear so expensive is that any item with a value

of $20 (Canadian) is subject to duties and taxes.  Items sent plain old First Class, whilst tracked for sellers, are

often just delivered to your door if they are, say, under $100.

The law requires the GSP apply duties/taxes to all values over $20.  That is perhaps the best reason to avoid GSP listings.

Other good reasons to avoid it include shipping delays, circuitous routes, opened and damaged parcels, . . .

Canada is such a small market we really don't count for much to a behemoth American company like ebay.

Just do everything you can for yourself to find what you want at a price you can afford, and yes, that includes

a wide variety of shopping around.

Best wishes. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the answers! Also I find it funny that eBay censored the topic.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I completely stopped buying clothing items ($15-30 range stuff) from US sellers when the GSP was widely adopted. I often see the same item relisted over and over again with no bids, but I never bid due to the inflated costs the GSP will tack onto the sale, and I wonder if the seller knows that the GSP is an impediment to Canadian buyers who would love to purchase their item. Thanks to this thread I may try asking sellers if they'll consider shipping USPS the old-fashioned way. I didn't realize that some would be willing to consider it.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@soozieqzie wrote:

I completely stopped buying clothing items ($15-30 range stuff) from US sellers when the GSP was widely adopted. I often see the same item relisted over and over again with no bids, but I never bid due to the inflated costs the GSP will tack onto the sale, and I wonder if the seller knows that the GSP is an impediment to Canadian buyers who would love to purchase their item. 

I'd say there's a good chance that the seller doesn't even realize that the GSP has been applied to their listings.

Be prepared to do some hand-holding and coaching if you find a seller willing to ship directly to Canada.  They probably haven't done it very often if at all.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply