Will I get taxed?

I'm about to pull the trigger on some ram from the US.

I'm on ebay.ca, signed in and it says 0.00 import fees.

Am I gonna get screwed when this shows up at my door?

If I do get charged at the door, is this now SNAD?

2017088.jpg2017089.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Will I get taxed?

marnotom!
Community Member

The import charges (taxes, processing, etc.) are added to the shipping charge in GSP listings such as yours.

You shouldn't have to pay anything else unless your seller is clueless and ships the RAM directly to you instead of to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.

If that should happen, rather than filing a SNAD it would be better to try to pursuit a refund of the Pitney Bowes charges.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Will I get taxed?

I found the ram on newegg.ca via their ebay store which included to tax for a few dollars cheaper.

I think this is a example of ebays "hide the fees in the shipping price" scenario.

too bad it spooked me out of a sale for that seller though.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Will I get taxed?

The fees you would pay would be Canadian duty, Canadian sales taxes and the GSP service charge or about $5USD.

But all of those would be paid to the GSP, before the seller even ships.

So nothing on your doorstep.

If your other seller ships by USPS/Canada Post, your purchase may slip by without being assessed, but if it is you will pay the same tax and duty plus a $9.95 service charge to the Canada Post letter carrier.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Will I get taxed?

@leaky-bucket-labs wrote:

I found the ram on newegg.ca via their ebay store which included to tax for a few dollars cheaper.

I think this is a example of ebays "hide the fees in the shipping price" scenario.

too bad it spooked me out of a sale for that seller though.

Many US retailers selling to Canada are now folding taxes/duty and processing fees into the shipping or item price.  (I've noticed that identical items are considerably more expensive on the .ca version of a prominent online e-tailer compared to the .com site.)

The aspect of the GSP that seems to raise the most hackles on this discussion board is the "import charges".  Many eBayers who purchase from the United States don't seem to understand that they've been getting a free pass on GST/HST/PST and duty for items shipped directly to them by mail so they figure that Pitney Bowes is doing something underhanded or illegal by passing along these charges.  The solution that seems to be getting experimented with is folding those charges into the shipping instead, at least for fairly inexpensive items.  To do this for more expensive items would make the shipping charge extra crazy.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply