Winning bid on item turns out to be fake

willy156
Community Member

Hello, I have won a bid. And it turns out it is a fake. Proof is going into the seller's feedback, someone else left a negative review claiming they are fake for the exact same item. I have not purchased the item yet but I have contacted the seller even before t he bid was ending to cancel but they did not respond

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Winning bid on item turns out to be fake

You could have retracted your bid before the auction ended.

You don't need to have the seller's permission for that.

Retractions do show on your Feedback page, but the very occasional retraction won't bother a sensible seller.

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You bought an item.

You have not paid.

Because of a stranger's feedback (?) that the item he received was 'fake'.

An anonymous stranger, whose other feedback you cannot check because his name is masked.

When the seller opens an Unpaid Item Dispute, if you do not pay, the transaction will end, he will get his fees back, he will relist the item.

And you will get an Unpaid Item Strike on your buying account, which will prevent you from bidding on many, if not most, items where the sellers have opted for an automatic Block on deadbeats who don't pay.

And you will not be able to leave your own feedback.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@willy156 wrote:

... someone else left a negative review claiming they are fake for the exact same item. I have not purchased the item yet but I have contacted the seller even before the bid was ending to cancel but they did not respond

Contact the seller again and ask to cancel the purchase. Use the drop down menu next to your purchase details that says More actions.

In the future, remember to do your checking before bidding.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I've messaged the seller before the bidding ended and have sent another message but they have no responded.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You could have retracted your bid before the auction ended.

You don't need to have the seller's permission for that.

Retractions do show on your Feedback page, but the very occasional retraction won't bother a sensible seller.

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

Message 5 of 5
latest reply