can no longer view u.s listings

so this may have been talked about before as i do not hit the forums here too often.However i must say what a shame what ebay is doing,i have confirmed this with one of my american friends.As a canadian i can no longer even sign into ebay.com and see certain listings.My american friend told me about some listing too check out and i guess ebay is now using id software  too identify my ip address and block me from seeing any u.s specific listings(not all)i guess when a seller marks shipping too u.s only,however alot of times of done deals with u.s sellers that didnt even realize they marked their listings this way and sold too me anyway in canada,now i cannot even send a message because i dont know whats for sale!!!.like i could not even view his listings and he would sell too canadians.As a collector this is a shame for me as i will now miss out on seeing alot of stuff that is for sale.More and more not only with ebay,but in general,there seems too be companies like ebay trying too create a greater divide in the 2 countries,pretty sad.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@masterquan14 wrote:

... i have confirmed this with one of my american friends. As a canadian i can no longer even sign into ebay.com and see certain listings. My american friend told me about some listing too check out and i guess ebay is now using id software  too identify my ip address and block me from seeing any u.s specific listings(not all) i guess when a seller marks shipping too u.s only, however alot of times of done deals with u.s sellers that didnt even realize they marked their listings this way and sold too me anyway in canada, now i cannot even send a message because i dont know whats for sale!!!

For a long time sellers have been able to specifically mark listings to exclude buyers who are not in countries they ship to.  This seller choice has been around for years.

-..-

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If you want to see listing that ship within the US only, do a search using price lowest to highest and at the top of the page change your location to the Unied States and ener a zip code, I use 92210. You may have to refresh the page.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

yes this is true,but when i would go on ebay.com i would still be able too see those listings doing a u.s search,now i am not able too do that,ebay has changed something

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

i tried doing that,i asked my buddy in the u.s too specificaly give me the item number of an auction im interested in thats running right now,and even doing it that way it is still blocking me from seeing that listing,ebay has changed something,not happy about it.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What is the listing number from your US buddy that you cannot see on eBay.com?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Wonder if this part of the eBay "experiment" involving buyers who regularly use the .com site?

I can see this listing with no problems on both .ca and .com, despite the fact that the seller does not ship to Canada.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191913245746

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191913245746

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@masterquan14 wrote:

i guess ebay is now using id software  too identify my ip address and block me from seeing any u.s specific listings(not all)i guess when a seller marks shipping too u.s only,however alot of times of done deals with u.s sellers that didnt even realize they marked their listings this way and sold too me anyway in canada,now i cannot even send a message because i dont know whats for sale!!!.like i could not even view his listings and he would sell too canadians.As a collector this is a shame for me as i will now miss out on seeing alot of stuff that is for sale.

Keep in mind that there are two different types of listings where shipping to Canada is not specified.  One is the "Does not ship to Canada" type, where the seller has set their preferences to block bids and purchases from users without a US shipping address.  The other kind is a "May not ship to Canada" listing which means that the seller hasn't set any sort of blocks for buyers with non-US shipping addresses, but they haven't specified shipping information for Canada, either.

The first type of listing you won't see on .ca unless you can provide an item number, and from what you've said, it sounds as though eBay may be trying to replicate that on the .com site.  The second type of listing is one that could potentially see the listing have the Global Shipping Program applied to it.

eBay's rationale for this change you're seeing may be along the lines of if the seller refuses to ship to Canada and has set their buyer blocks accordingly, what's the point of you seeing the listing?  I've noticed a similar sort of thing in the past with European listings where a VERO flag or something similar has been triggered by the listing and it's been rendered unviewable on .com and/or .ca.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

maybe i just never had this happen too me in all these years on ebay,i dunno,i have alot of friends in the same hobby as me from the u.s and for years they  have always said check out this listing or check out that listing,and i would just get the id number from them and it would pop up,but with this one for the first time i cannot view it,item number is 272291235210.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Wonder if this part of the eBay "experiment" involving buyers who regularly use the .com site?

There is is no evidence that the gsp test is just aimed at Canadian buyers who regularly use the .com site....that's your theory.  I just noticed the gsp test in the last week or so but eBay has been hiding will not ship to Canada listings for much longer.

As far as being able to see that soap, I can also see it if I click on your link but not if I search for it using the item number.  What happens if you search using the item number when your location is in Canada?   191913245746

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Both Masterquan's Blackhawks' Jersey and the soap come up with no issues for me when I do a search on .com by item number.  However, I can search for neither by item number on .ca.  I'm pretty sure that it wasn't all that long ago that I used to be able to search for and find items on the .ca site by item number even if these items had no Canadian shipping specified.  But then, as I get older, my sense of what's not all that long ago seems to be shifting.  Smiley Very Happy

A thought comes to mind:  Has eBay automatically manipulated the "Item Location" refinement on you?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply