cancelling a purchase

Hello to all,

I purchased an item () on Aug 27 and subsequently received advice from ebay that the item was being removed as the seller is no longer registered with ebay.  Based on that and the fact that the item has not yet been shipped I want to cancel the order; however, I can't make this arrangement because the item # no longer exists so I am not able to complete any of the necessary forms to initiate a claim.  I can't even find a telephone no. for ebay customer service.

Anyone have any idea(s)?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cancelling a purchase

Thank you very much for the info.

I did manage to get through to PayPal and was patched through to a real person at ebay who walked me through the steps to initiate a refund.  All is well now but from start to finish I have been at it for almost 4 hrs.  Geesh!!!  Smiley Frustrated  It seems there is a way to do what I needed done on the ebay site but it isn't an easy road to travel if you don't have the correct directions.  I was trying to cancel the order when I should have been 'requesting a refund due to non-receipt'.  Inasmuch as the item had not yet shipped, why would I think to 'claim non-receipt'? 

Thanks to all for your time and assistance. 

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'd skip PP entirely, or at any rate, not give them too much time. For example, I wouldn't wait for them to call you back if they can't reverse the charge immediately.

Go directly to your credit card (the 1-800 number is on the back of the card usually, as well as on your billing statement) and file for a chargeback.

If the item does arrive, you can refund the chargeback using Paypal's Send Money service.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

cancelling a purchase

Have you paid for the item through PayPal?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

cancelling a purchase

Unfortunately, No.  I paid by credit card; the transaction on my statement says 'PayPal (seller's name).

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

cancelling a purchase

OK - you have in fact paid through PayPal - using a credit card.

Now, look carefully at the message from eBay advising of the listing cancellation - what exactly does eBay advise you to do?

Generally, in such instance, they tell buyers to do nothing as it is quite possible the goods have been shipped but the seller has no means to post the information on eBay.

I suggest you wait a few days, more so if you are looking at a relatively small amount of money (under $20)

Then contact the seller directly using his email address on the PayPal page and ask if the item was mailed and when.

If you get no reply within a few days (patience is required in these cases) file a claim for non-receipt with PayPal, advising PayPal that the seller is no longer registered at eBay.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

cancelling a purchase

Thanks for speedy response.

Unfortunately, the purchase in question does not show up in my PayPal account.  When I queried why the transaction showed up on my credit card statement showing PayPal (seller's name) and not also in my PayPal account I was told that it was not a true PP transaction but just that the payment was handled by PP because sellers can't receive directly from credit cards.  But, as you have suggested, I will try contacting PP to see if they can help.  Otherwise, I guess the next in line is my credit card issuer.

Regards

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

cancelling a purchase

I'd skip PP entirely, or at any rate, not give them too much time. For example, I wouldn't wait for them to call you back if they can't reverse the charge immediately.

Go directly to your credit card (the 1-800 number is on the back of the card usually, as well as on your billing statement) and file for a chargeback.

If the item does arrive, you can refund the chargeback using Paypal's Send Money service.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

cancelling a purchase

Thank you very much for the info.

I did manage to get through to PayPal and was patched through to a real person at ebay who walked me through the steps to initiate a refund.  All is well now but from start to finish I have been at it for almost 4 hrs.  Geesh!!!  Smiley Frustrated  It seems there is a way to do what I needed done on the ebay site but it isn't an easy road to travel if you don't have the correct directions.  I was trying to cancel the order when I should have been 'requesting a refund due to non-receipt'.  Inasmuch as the item had not yet shipped, why would I think to 'claim non-receipt'? 

Thanks to all for your time and assistance. 

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Message 7 of 7
latest reply