eBay adding shipping charge

I recently purchased an item after talking to the seller about a cheaper shipping alternative, they said they didn't know how to reduce the $19 shipping charge but would refund me $13 after I pay for the item.

I paid the item in full, and then received an email from the seller stating that it only shows that I paid the seller 5.95 for shipping and that eBay must have banked the rest. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

" Is this possible?"

Maybe, but not quite.  It depends.

Was this an item purchased from the USA from a seller using Global Shipping?

If so, the seller only gets part of the shipping  charge (the part from his location to the eBay distribution centre in Kentucky).  The other part of the shipping charge covers from the distribution centre to you, after crossing the border.

What is the listing number?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

" Is this possible?"

Maybe, but not quite.  It depends.

Was this an item purchased from the USA from a seller using Global Shipping?

If so, the seller only gets part of the shipping  charge (the part from his location to the eBay distribution centre in Kentucky).  The other part of the shipping charge covers from the distribution centre to you, after crossing the border.

What is the listing number?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

This is the listing number: 221545159231

It appears that it has been listed using Global Shipping. The shipping calculator that was available before purchase does not come out to $19 though, so I'm confused why eBay would tell the buyer the shipping is less than the real thing?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The listing shows:

Shipping: $19.29 International Priority Shipping to Canada

Import charges:$0.00

When shipping within the USA, the seller charges:

US $5.95
United States
Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box)
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"after talking to the seller about a cheaper shipping alternative, they said they didn't know how to reduce the $19 shipping charge but would refund me $13 after I pay for the item."

I was not listening to that conversation Smiley Happy but I can only guess that the seller assumed that the domestic USPS shipping charge to the distribution centre in Kentucky was all that was needed to get to you in Canada. $6 only gets the item from Delaware to Kentucky!

Somehow, somewhere, somebody needs to pay to get the item from Kentucky to you. And that is what the shipping charge is all about (minus the $6 that was paid to the seller)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Oh yeah no error on the seller's part whatsoever 🙂 , but it would have been nice if using eBay's shipping calculator it would have said $19. Ah well, thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Another time, you can contact a seller before bidding or buying and ask if they will opt out of the GSP for that item, plus give you a quote for direct shipping charges through USPS (you don't want a courier - it will cost even more).  There are lots of sellers who will do that, and sadly, there are apparently still many US sellers who don't know that they have enrolled in the GSP, do not know how it works, and don't know how to get out of it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I agree with this. I ran into a really good seller who did exactly this. Didn't even notice how bad the GSP screws Canadians until I mentioned it. He said he most likely won't be using it again.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

thanks for the help guys, good to know all this. and hopefully the GSP is something a seller has to choose themselves in the future instead of eBay sneaking it in there.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply