eBay stupid Automated System

Several purchased eBay items not received longer than 60 to 75 days since order date and I opened CASE for each. Some sellers immediately refunded but when I received their items I repaid them via PayPal. However, I received an eBay email warning that their vigilance center noticed I am reporting too many items as undelivered and that if this trend continues eBay will suspend my ability to purchase on eBay! I had notice eBay stupid system but never witnessed it was so stupid issuing warning intimidating buyer if reports items not received he becomes suspicious for fraud without eBay stupid brainless crew to 1st investigate and find the truth before spitting drivel to their eBay subscribers.Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

mesbah.javid wrote:

Several purchased eBay items not received longer than 60 to 75 days since order date and I opened CASE for each. Some sellers immediately refunded but when I received their items I repaid them via PayPal. However, I received an eBay email warning that their vigilance center noticed I am reporting too many items as undelivered and that if this trend continues eBay will suspend my ability to purchase on eBay! I had notice eBay stupid system but never witnessed it was so stupid issuing warning intimidating buyer if reports items not received he becomes suspicious for fraud without eBay stupid brainless crew to 1st investigate and find the truth before spitting drivel to their eBay subscribers.

"Spitting drivel" you say.  Yes, well, just as a refresher for  EBay-PayPal Claims 101, 

On eBay you have 30 days after that LAST estimated date of delivery to file a claim for a Not Received item.  

On PayPal you have 180 days after you PAID to file a claim.  That's about 6 months to wait for an item coming on slow boat from China.  

If you are going to order cheap from China the decent thing to do is wait for the junk to show up.  Items from there can take 2-3 months to arrive, these days it's much longer.  Do not listen to anyone telling you that a month from purchase is enough time, or to file a claim as soon as the eBay system allows or sooner on PayPal, because that kind of "advice" does not come from buyers buying from China.  Following that kind of wishful-thinking guideline will have you damage your own account.  The people who actually buy from China a lot all say it can take months.  Remember, on PayPal you have almost 6 months, and that is just to get the claim started.  It may take longer than that to finally conclude an opened claim.  

Recently the drug carfentanil is seeping its way into Canada and our Border Services has to check every piece of mail that comes in.  That causes unbelievable delays.  It is important to know about this, 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carfentanil-exports-china-ap-investigation-1.3795415

If you want to read about other buyers who are having the same problem with delays, 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Packaging-Shipping/China-to-Canada-packages/qaq-p/121715/comment-id/4926...

My suggestion is to buy from North America, at least for the next 18 months so those claims can begin to drop off the other end.  Go to the left side of the page and find Item Location.   Buying closer to home will have your items arrive much more quickly, and you still have your eBay and PayPal protection in the event there is a genuine problem.  

north am.jpg

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

STOP buying from China.... focus on Sellers from Canada, USA, Europe, U.K and Australia.

Exclude the rest and you will have a more positive buying experience.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Yes, 3-4 weeks on average... but at least the buyer will receive the item purchased. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

And even when it does take a couple months, Australia is not on the "search every parcel" list, not yet.  I suppose it is just a matter of time until the drug peddlers set up in other countries, as this dope makes its way into every nation on earth.  Currently it is legal to manufacture and buy in China, even though a minuscule amount can kill a human.  When they begin shipping form other countries, how will that affect worldwide online shopping, I wonder.  We are already beginning to see some effects, 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/bill-c37-opening-mail-1.3970988

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I've had no problems with shipping out items worldwide with Canada Post stepping up their services (Tracked Packet-USA has been amazing) but of course there always has to be a fly in the ointment that will potentially disrupt the nice flow of online sales.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

For each eBay purchase, buyer immediately receives a confirmation email showing an estimated delivery due date. Opening eBay CASE is enabled by eBay once the delivery due date is passed. It is interesting that about a week after delivery due dates, eBay sends an email reminder to buyer demanding posting feedbacks for items not yet received. Then after another week or more when I opened eBay CASEs then intimidate me why too many items are reported undelivered!! as though I am responsible for undelivered eBay purchases.

I am concluding that eBay has fallen into hands of some morons with no brain cells that never even read for each delayed item there are several email communications between buyer & seller for finding where items could be.

Some sellers whose auctioned items go for less price than they expected decide not mail items and wait until a CASE is opened then just simply refund buyer who has been waiting for a prolonged period. For such suspected sellers a negative feedback must be posted immediately at 60 day feedback due dates until items arrived then seller can ask for feedback reversal.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Amen!  (Australia can take a long time, too, however), 

Looks like a lot of those "Australian" sellers are actually shipping from Hong Kong or China.....

As a seller, I selfishly encourage opening claims after 30 days in transit.

First because I believe we should be encouraging North American buyers to expect more-- and pay more for that expectation if need be.

Second because, as the OP has learned, many of those sellers will refund when questioned, which may be because they are using Cookie Jar Insurance, but is just as likely to be because they never sent anything in the first place.

Having no money invested in stock  and no shipping costs is a good way to keep your profits high.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

mesbah.javid wrote:

For each eBay purchase, buyer immediately receives a confirmation email showing an estimated delivery due date. Opening eBay CASE is enabled by eBay once the delivery due date is passed.

That's right.  But eBay knows that sellers put items in the mail, often without tracking or proof of delivery.  Just because a seller can't prove delivery is not a reason to get a free item.  

In the eBay policy pages there is nothing that says it is OK for buyers who get fed up with waiting a month to go ahead and get their money back.  On rare occasion an item might get lost, but eBay knows that a large number of items are not getting lost.  A scammer will be shut down, be they on the selling or buying side.  

The email about leaving feedback is automated.  Often on a delayed order it is too late to leave feedback (more than 60 days) but the item arrived as described.  Feedback doesn't count on the sellers record any more so it isn't that big a deal.  

mesbah.javid wrote:

why too many items are reported undelivered!! as though I am responsible for undelivered eBay purchases.

You ARE responsible for your purchases, ie, waiting for the items you order to arrive.  It is against eBay policy to open too many false claims, as you have found out.  

In case you haven't noticed, I'm on your side.  I do not want you to have financial problems and find your account shut down.  You will certainly have discovered that being impatient and filing a claim does not make the items travel faster.  

Once again, I suggest you buy from North America if you are so obviously unable to wait long enough to save yourself from suspension.  You have been warned by eBay, and it takes a lot to get a warning.  You have nearly 6 months to file a claim on PayPal.  What you do about all this now  is up to you.  

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

femmefan1946 wrote:

Looks like a lot of those "Australian" sellers are actually shipping from Hong Kong or China.....

There's a Canadian one like that, too, maybe more than one.  Loads of negs to go along with the deception.  One good reason to buy Canadian is no border crossings, import charges or delays.  I wish eBay would shut some of these down.  

femmefan1946 wrote:

I believe we should be encouraging North American buyers to expect more-- and pay more for that expectation if need be.

If only they would, but people will always gravitate to the cheapest thing.  I don't blame people for doing that.  So many people getting by on tiny incomes, only part-time minimum wage jobs, no nothing for anybody, but they see all these goodies and they want things. I understand.  It's the crooks who display misleading wares that irk me the most.  Canada has laws that prevent false advertising but China and those places don't.  People here have grown up expecting a certain amount of truth in advertising, or at least not outright fakery.  

Not that that gives them more money.  

I encourage people to buy North American.  Maybe make fewer purchases but smarter ones.  What I object to is their filing early claims and damaging themselves.  EBay WILL suspend those who abuse the system, and filing all those early claims is considered abuse on eBay.  

I do not believe the items are not mailed, not when regular buyers of Chinese junk, the crafters and so on, say things do show up eventually.  The sellers refund right away for the same reason Canadian sellers refund right away on a INR claim without tracking.  Without tracking, once a claim is open a seller has to refund or when eBay steps in it's a defect.  Too many of those and it will be the SELLER facing suspension.  

They refund because they have no choice, not because they mailed no item.  

And I don't blame the seller for trying to get buyers to wait longer.  If I get a "where's my item?" my first thought is to tell them to wait.  Not because I mailed nothing but because I did!   Its just that ordering from China, especially in this last 6 months or so, is taking forever so buyers should either wait it out with PayPal, making a note of when the PP claim date ends, or better yet buy from North America.  No overseas travel.  

Personally, I wish there were 2 eBays.  One the way it used to be, with real people hawking real items.  The other with the big box stores, the Asian junk, the billion-listing sellers.  Or maybe just a separate sino-bay for all that cheap carp, with its own set of rules and claim deadlines.  

What I would never do is urge a buyer to take a line that would ultimately harm the buyer.  That is what early claims do.  Like the OP said, "when I received their items I repaid them via PayPal", so the items do arrive.  But now all those premature claims have put the buyer's account at risk.  

That's what I object to, having buyers open claims instead of waiting it out because it turns good well-meaning people into thieves.  It trains them to expect, not good service, but free items.  It teaches them they can get free things easily any time a seller can't prove delivery.  It certainly doesn't make the items arrive sooner.  I don't like to see people who might not know better think they are doing the correct thing when the result is they damage themselves in ways that are far worse.  For that reason I can never condone filing premature claims, no matter how much I wish all those sellers with their fake garbage would dry up and disappear.  

Well now, that was an exhausting rant!   I guess now I better refuel at the coffee pot and get dinner on the table.  ~sigh~

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

eBay buyer feedback due date must not expire prior to arrival of purchased item, i.e., if item arrives after 60 days buyer has lost his freedom to specify satisfaction/dissatisfaction with quality of his purchase. Present eBay policy forces buyer not receiving items by day 60, post a negative feedback for seller that seller can request reversal after items delivered satisfactorily. eBay has not solved this problem yet.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@mesbah.javid wrote:

eBay buyer feedback due date must not expire prior to arrival of purchased item, i.e., if item arrives after 60 days buyer has lost his freedom to specify satisfaction/dissatisfaction with quality of his purchase. Present eBay policy forces buyer not receiving items by day 60, post a negative feedback for seller that seller can request reversal after items delivered satisfactorily. eBay has not solved this problem yet.

Eleven out of your last 25 feedback ratings left are red donuts! You really need to wait before pulling the negative trigger. For the past 10 or so years, sellers haven't been able to leave anything but positive feedback for buyers. The only other option is to leave no FB at all. This means that all buyers, good or bad, have 100% FB scores and positive comments, making feedback received a useless tool for sellers. So sellers look at a buyer's feedback left for others in order to decide whether or not they want to deal with a particular buyer. Yours screams "I'm impatient and difficult to deal with". Not the best calling card on eBay.

China is a long way from Canada. Add to that the fact that Customs has been taking a much closer look at Chinese packages, as is their prerogative. All this can mean significant delays. If you want to buy from China, you must accept those delays. If you don't want to deal with extended delays, you need to buy from sellers located closer to home. It's as simple as that.

Those negatives piling up in your Feedback Left for Others profile could end up hurting you far more than they will the sellers.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

(butting in)...

How many not-received claims constitute "too many"??  

I've had things not show up lately; just got refunded for #3 after waiting 10 weeks.   One was from Thailand, one Hong Kong, one mainland China.  I don't like to let the feedback deadline pass even though apparently that's not long enough these days.  

A couple of items which finally came after 2-3 months, did not appear to have been opened or re-taped with "border services" tape as I saw mentioned in another post.  

Bought 2 items same day, same seller, but must be different warehouses because one has arrived and one has not.

Waiting for 4 more small items from Hong Kong, and wondering if they're going to get into this border-patrol delay too, and now wondering about this "too many" not-received cases!

Buy North American... well... I don't buy much from the USA anymore, thanks to GSP, and some of the stuff I'm looking for isn't available in North America anyway.  When it is, it may be 3x the cost of the Asian seller's listing, or more.  They're getting it from Asia, reselling it at a markup.  Not a crime, but I'm not going to buy it.

Some of the "cheap Chinese stuff" has been great.  So, what to do!

And on another tack, if this drug they're looking for is so horrifically toxic that a grain can kill someone, who the heck is ordering so much of it that it has the customs people on such a mission??  I mean, what are buyers doing with it?  What's the point??  ...mind... boggled... Robot surprised

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

And on another tack, if this drug they're looking for is so horrifically toxic that a grain can kill someone, who the heck is ordering so much of it that it has the customs people on such a mission??  I mean, what are buyers doing with it?  What's the point??  ...mind... boggled... Robot surprised

There may be some moral panic going on over fentanyl, but there certainly are deaths attached to it.

As to the point.... nobody thinks criminals are smart.

If they were, they'd get a day job.

This is a chapter from the book Freakonomics-- about how poorly paid (and dangerous) drug dealing really is.

http://www.cc.ntut.edu.tw/~kmliu/freakonomics/3%20durg%20dealers%20live%20with%20moms.pdf

What boggles me is the occasional report of addicts revived by paramedics more than once in a single day.

At some point, you have to ask yourself, "isn't suicide legal?".

It's hard to know, since eBay sensibly does not make the numbers public. Some would take advantage.

It would seem likely that the number would be cross -referenced to how often there are claims. Ten in a year might (or might not) be okay,but ten in a month (to different sellers) would be more problematical.

And remember, if a seller refunds promptly to a reported problem, he does not even show up on eBay's radar. Many sellers will refund before there is an eBay dispute opened.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

It's hard to know, since eBay sensibly does not make the numbers public. Some would take advantage....

And remember, if a seller refunds promptly to a reported problem, he does not even show up on eBay's radar. Many sellers will refund before there is an eBay dispute opened.

How would people take advantage...?  If you report too many claims you get booted.  Or do you mean, people could falsely make claims and stay under the too-many limit.

So I reported items not received, and the sellers refunded.  Which I guess is what you are talking about.  Not-received is not the same as escalating to a dispute, right?  So you think those cases wouldn't count as far as eBay's concerned?

... I still can't imagine why anyone would need substantial amounts of something that one grain will kill a person.  Unless they were terrorists trying to wipe out half a country.  And then you'd think there wouldn't be enough shipments on an ongoing basis to require such a search process.  Wow.  And I have heard in the news about the Fentanyl deaths in B.C. and spreading 😞

Thanks for the insight.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Or do you mean, people could falsely make claims and stay under the too-many limit.

Yes.

There are many things that eBay (or any business) will not make any precise statement about.

Another is how many Unpaid Item Strikes a buyer can get before his buying account is closed.

Sellers can Block bidders with two or more of those. And we do hear of members losing buying privileges. But eBay won't say exactly how many is too many.

So I reported items not received, and the sellers refunded.  Which I guess is what you are talking about.  Not-received is not the same as escalating to a dispute, right?  So you think those cases wouldn't count as far as eBay's concerned?

Depends on what you mean by 'reported'.

If you contacted the seller and he refunded, eBay knows and cares nothing.

If you open an eBay dispute, then eBay pays attention.

Many sellers do not pay for expensive tracking on cheap products. They also may use cheap surface shipping, which is slow.

If the seller gets a complaint, directly or through eBay, he refunds. No problems for his selling account.

If he refuses, eBay refunds and goes after the seller for their money.

Both are fine when the buyer is honest  and buying sensibly (reading feedback and noting probable delivery times BEFORE bidding.)

But if a buyer were making many such claims, whatever the seller's response, eBay would eventually take notice and wonder if the buyer were making false claims to get free stuff.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Depends on what you mean by 'reported'.

If you contacted the seller and he refunded, eBay knows and cares nothing.

If you open an eBay dispute, then eBay pays attention.

Well, in the purchases list, I clicked "I didn't receive it" and followed the steps.  It said if the seller didn't respond in 6 days or however many days it was, "you can ask us to step in" or words to that effect.  So I assume the seller just got the message and that isn't a dispute.  Because they did refund.

I always wait till the last possible date for feedback and reporting lost items.  Hasn't happened very often.  And I do expect things to take at least a month coming from Asia.  Unfortunately even the 60-day feedback limit doesn't seem to be long enough.

I got an AIRmail package from Australia that took almost 2 1/2 months!

🙂 Sometimes it's a lot quicker just asking questions here than trying to find it in the "help" pages!

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

It said if the seller didn't respond in 6 days or however many days it was, "you can ask us to step in" or words to that effect.  So I assume the seller just got the message and that isn't a dispute.

No that's a Dispute.

When you ask eBay to step in , it becomes a Claim.

A Report starts from the Report button on each listing and is usually used when there is something sketchey about the listing or the seller, not a problem with a transaction.

Words words words. We posters have often been around a loooong time and have the oldtimers' tendency to use out of date language.

EBay changes the words from time to time, although not always the meaning.

Twenty-three skidoo!

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It said if the seller didn't respond in 6 days or however many days it was, "you can ask us to step in" or words to that effect.  So I assume the seller just got the message and that isn't a dispute.

No that's a Dispute.

When you ask eBay to step in , it becomes a Claim.

Ah.  OK then.  Well, I hope the rest of the stuff arrives.

Thanks!

Message 20 of 20
latest reply