expensive shipping fees from U.S. sellers...

<p>Why is it that virtually <em>ALL</em> U.S. sellers charge Canadian eBay buyers exorbitant shipping fees, coupled with that IMPORT CHARGE, yet every Canadian eBay seller charges the exact same fee to ship to the U.S. as they charge to ship within Canada?&nbsp;</p>
<p>I am extremely frustrated seeing desirable items being auctioned, and shipping is FREE to U.S., yet to International destinations, which Canada is included, the shipping fee is sometimes as high as $30.00, and even more, for simple items, such as A COIN!!!</p>
<p>The same item from a Canadian seller, would have a shipping fee to the U.S. at a reasonable $5.00, and even FREE, if offered free within Canada.</p>
<p>Why is it so unfair? Why are Canadians not treated with the same respect the we show the U.S. eBay'ers???</p>
<p>eBay does NOTHING to make shipping fees more realistic from U.S. to Canada.</p>
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

"Why is it..."

Business 101

When you look at the "big picture" the American marketplace is a must for most Canadian mail order businesses (such as eBay sellers) as our Canadian market is relatively small.

On the other hand, American sellers have a huge domestic marketplace (ten times larger) and do not really need to export to make a living.

So, if Canadians want a piece of the American marketplace, they have to compete with American sellers and their domestic shipping rates. The trend in the last few years has been for online retailers (large and small including eBay sellers) to offer "free shipping".  That is what American buyers want.

The same is not true in reverse as the need is not there for American sellers to compete with Canadian sellers in the Canadian marketplace.

eBay (or Amazon or any other venue) has nothing to do with it.  It is all about competing for foreign business on foreign soil. 

"When in Rome... do like the Romans".

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Many U.S. sellers are paranoid and think that international buyers are 'sketchy' and that chances of a problem are increased with an international transaction. So, many of them use the global shipping program which has higher shipping fees or they charge for a more expensive shipping service than they need to because it makes them feel 'more protected.'  If they couldn't use those options, some of them wouldn't agree to ship outside of the U.S. at all.

USPS international rates have really gone up in the last two years but some sellers definitely charge for a more expensive shipping service than they need to. I agree that it is very frustrating.

You can always ask a seller if they will ship to Canada using first class international package which does have delivery confirmation but ultimately, it is their choice on how they ship an item.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Another overlooked reason is the quote system in place on USPS.com shows priority for like $36. The other better priced services like first class $7 (example) require a dropdown menu to be clicked to show them. The average american is not smart enough to realize this and thinks $36 is the bottom line. They also dont know that everything is tracked.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You are right about dealing with the US, it just gets more and more expensive. I now find that I get cheaper quicker more honest service  buying from the EU, plus a lot of Americans get confused by the concept of trading outside of there country, eg buying books through Amazon UK is quicker and easier than the US and i dont UK sellers camouflaging there accounts to look like they are  Canadian.

I try not to sell or buy from the US, makes life easier.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ebay claims that charging inflated shipping charges is against there sellers policy agreement YET they offer no way to file a complaint against sellers who are asking for these fees example check the shipping fees to Canada on this item

$500 dollars to Canada for a lead screw for this machine. $30 to Buffalo NY. So the big question why is Ebay not covering this in there reporting system??

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The listing looks pretty slapdash, maybe the seller wrote one too many zeros?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@99dogshunting wrote:

Ebay claims that charging inflated shipping charges is against there sellers policy agreement YET they offer no way to file a complaint against sellers who are asking for these fees example check the shipping fees to Canada on this item

$500 dollars to Canada for a lead screw for this machine. $30 to Buffalo NY. So the big question why is Ebay not covering this in there reporting system??

Just checked a completed listing for which the seller had received feedback and their shipping rate to Canada is a lot more reasonable.  I agree with AFAntiques' hypothesis that the seller likely made an error.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

And you would be doing the seller a favour if you used Contact Seller and drew her attention to the error.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply