import tool battery

So I purchased a power tool battery from a US seller that ships with the global shipping program. When the auction was over and I won, it listed the total but $0 for the import fees. I paid for the item and it shipped. Now it is sitting at the GSP center in Kentucky and says it is restricted and undeliverable. I looked up more ads of this particular battery from multiple sellers on ebay and not one has an amount listed for the import fee, all say $0. The seller never said in his listing he cant ship to Canada. Just wondering if batteries are not allowed to be imported. Its been a week and nothing has happened. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

import tool battery

marnotom!
Community Member

@n-kahnman wrote:

So I purchased a power tool battery from a US seller that ships with the global shipping program. When the auction was over and I won, it listed the total but $0 for the import fees. I paid for the item and it shipped. Now it is sitting at the GSP center in Kentucky and says it is restricted and undeliverable. I looked up more ads of this particular battery from multiple sellers on ebay and not one has an amount listed for the import fee, all say $0. The seller never said in his listing he cant ship to Canada. Just wondering if batteries are not allowed to be imported. Its been a week and nothing has happened. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Batteries are a prohibited item with the Global Shipping Program.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#prohibited

Because of quirks with this rickety old website and the nature of eBay categories, listings tend to get the GSP automatically applied to them by eBay without an examination of the item itself.  Power tools can be shipped through the GSP, but not power tool batteries.  There doesn't seem to be a routine in the GSP programming to distinguish sub-categories.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

import tool battery

Is the battery corrosive? This is a link to all the prohibited import restrictions. You have to look for Canada under C. https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=C

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

import tool battery

There are restrictions on the shipping of lithium batteries.  That's come up with Asian sellers fairly often.

And your seller may not have packaged your battery properly. To the best of my knowledge, all batteries are corrosive and require careful handling.

There may also be a weight restriction in there.

The seller is not required to know about foreign restrictions on imports. That's up to the buyer who is resident in the country.

Your seller's lack of knowledge might also have led to poor packaging.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/comm-eng.html

That might help. Or you could phone your local CBSA office. They are often near the airport.

I'd open an Item Not Received Dispute on Paypal

You can do this for 180 days from payment.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

import tool battery

marnotom!
Community Member

@n-kahnman wrote:

Batteries are a prohibited item with the Global Shipping Program.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#prohibited

Because of quirks with this rickety old website and the nature of eBay categories, listings tend to get the GSP automatically applied to them by eBay without an examination of the item itself.  Power tools can be shipped through the GSP, but not power tool batteries.  There doesn't seem to be a routine in the GSP programming to distinguish sub-categories.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

import tool battery

If the item was deemed unshippable your refund should be automatic, no need to claim. The refund will be made to the original funding source, soif you used a PP balance it will show there, but if you used a credit card, debit card or linked bank account that is where the money will go and it will take longer, and you may not think to look there for the refund.

Any power tool battery will be Lithium ion nowadays, and would not be a weight problem unless over 66 pounds.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply