unable to make payment due to check out error and unresponsive ebay support staff

Hello Everyone:

I am a buyer who regularly paid instantly for all of purchases made without any problem - close to 400 in total to date. Now all of a sudden I have an "unpaid item" notification attached to my ebay summary due to check out error from ebay and an unresponsive and confused seller.

Before making the problematic purchase I inquired about shipping option from seller via email, and was assured by seller that item could be shipped via USPS first class international. After purchase I tried to make payment right away as usual, but was unable to do so because the checkout system kept on calculating shipping based on USPS priority shipping rate even though the "pay now" amount was actually displayed reflecting the true USPS first class international option agreed to. So because of the glitch the system wanted me to check out based on USPS priority shipping rate INSTEAD of USPS first class international rate displayed.

The problem started 10 days ago and I brought the issue to the attention of seller repeatedly via several email to no avail. I asked seller to contact ebay or other sellers in the community for advice, again to no avail. Seller has been totally unresponsive. I also requested invoice from seller that would reflect total amount of the transaction based on the USPS first class international shipping option agreed to. No response to that request either.

Not sure what to do at this point because the "unpaid item" notice continues to be attached to my ebay summary page. The problem is even more compounded because I tried to contact ebay, and that in itself was a joke. No credible way to reach anyone at ebay. After many fruitless tries I was provided a phone number based on my inquiry as well as a password with which to contact ebay. Guess what, tried the phone number which rang busy unabated.

Does anyone know how I can get the stupid "unpaid item" notice off my ebay summary page? Has anyone experienced this sort of **bleep** before in their dealings with ebay or a seller from hell like the present case?

I am very frustrated and can use help from anyone out there.

Thanks in advance.for your help.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

unable to make payment due to check out error and unresponsive ebay support staff

So what's the worst that can happen?

You don't pay.

You get an Unpaid Item Strike.

If this is the first you have ever received, you can call eBay and get it removed on the basis that 'anyone can make a mistake'.

Or if you have had one removed before, you have a single Strike. This does not prevent you from continuing to bid and buy.

If you already have one Strike on your account, many if not most sellers will have your bids Blocked, but that does not seem to be the case here.

So relax.

The seller apparently does not want to ship to you, or she would have answered your messages. Why give her your money?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your advise. Never had any strike what-so-ever in any of the 381 transactions since joining in 2006. In each case I made payment 2-3 minutes right after purchase (check out my feedbacks). Hence the present case is totally mystifying as to the role of ebay support staff and why there is no effective way to contact them on this sort of matter. This is really crazy!!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

On the upper right side of your ebay page, click on "Help & Contact".  Click on the second tab, "Contact eBay", and choose "Buying".  Under "Pay for Items" choose "Unable to Pay for Item".  On the right side, click on the blue telephone icon.  You will get the 1-866 number and a passcode.  Explain everything to the CS rep, and refer to the eBay Messages you have sent the seller.  It's best to call during North American business hours.

Personally, I would rather keep trying to respond to the case than to let it proceed without a response.  I hope this works better than the info to appeal an unpaid item case.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the tip. Actually I have gone that route and ended up with numerous phone numbers and pass codes. None of the calls I placed went through which was quite frustrating.

Nothing as disconcerting as trying to fulfil your obligation as a buyer and you are faced with a seemingly insurmountable technical glitch combined with an uncooperative seller.

Don't need any unwarranted strike so will keep trying........

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Amazing!  I don't often call eBay, but have never had a problem connecting.  I tried getting a number under all the headings (buying, selling, account) and no matter what options I chose in each heading, the only number I see is 1-866-278-1053, irregardless on the reason I choose.  Try one of the options, such as billing and invoice, where you are given the option for a call back, and hopefully you will get through.  I can't imagine what type of technical glitch you are experiencing.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply