what do canadians think of the Global Shipping Program?

Is anyone fed up with the global shipping program, excessive and extra costs we Canadians pay for shipping items from the states and the time it takes to get the items?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I never purchase from a seller who uses the Global Shipping Program. I do my best to purchase from Canadian sellers but when I do find that I need to purchase from the USA, I will search extensively to find the best value for the money and from a seller who will ship directly to me & not through the Global Shipping Program.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The Global Shipping Program is not popular with Canadian buyers, and has never been since its implementation.

If you check out the Buyer Central board (linked below) you will see two topics pinned to the top of the page that were created four years ago by an eBay employee, and combined they now have over 9000 posts. The vast majority of them are from buyers who dislike the program for various reasons.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/bd-p/23003

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The few that don't are from posters who also dislike the program but try to explain exactly how it works and how to deal with it.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I never purchase from a seller who uses the Global Shipping Program. I do my best to purchase from Canadian sellers but when I do find that I need to purchase from the USA, I will search extensively to find the best value for the money and from a seller who will ship directly to me & not through the Global Shipping Program.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program was not really created with Canadian buyers in mind. It was to placate American (and later British) sellers who didn't want to ship outside the borders of their own country by offering a program that allowed a third-party to oversee the international aspect of the transaction, the shipping and customs export.

Canadians, who have a quite low de minimus of $20 CAD on most items imported by mail, don't find much use for it, the Global Shipping Program. Despite that low import-fee-free threshold, we don't usually get dinged for the import fees if the parcel is relatively low in value and handled by Canada Post. (Couriers are another story.) But with the Global Shipping Program, those import fees are absolutely due, along with a handling fee which is actually the lowest around. But still we pay to the GSP even if the item is only worth $22 CAD because it is over the import-fee-free threshold. Even when duty isn't due, taxes still are.

But in other countries, take Germany for example, the Global Shipping Program is actually nice. Germans pay import fees on practically everything brought in by mail but it's not even as easy as giving the money due to the postman who brings it to the door, like it is here. As was recently explained to me by a German customer, they get their bill in the post and then have to travel to a government office who-knows-where to pay that duty and then and only then does the order get released for later delivery by the mail carrier. But with the GSP, that import fee is paid upfront and the parcel is straight delivered with no extra fuss.

In short, GSP isn't really for us. It's for xenophobic American sellers and international buyers for whom paying import fees is otherwise an even bigger pain in the butt than it is for us. We are a little bit spoiled in Canada about something to which we're not even entitled to be since that de minimus of ours is often ignored for no good reason. 

The rule of thumb is to expect to pay import fees on anything shipped to you from outside Canada valued at more than $20 CAD and then be pleasantly surprised when it isn't charged to you, instead of the other way around. Unpleasantly surprised when the law is upheld and taxes are due. 

Or shop Canadian so that those taxes have already been paid for you by the people or businesses from whom you are shopping.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Today it was the second time  since the introduction of GSP that I had to use it in order to buy an item that otherwise would not have been available any other way, the seller had no interest in opting out of GSP to make a sale so I ended up paying about $30 for taxes and shipping, so for a few bucks more I got what I needed .

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I think the key is to research and compare. Sometimes, an item shipped by GSP is the better option. I often noticed that when Free domestic shipping is offered and the item is quite bulky or heavy, it is better to buy a GSP item. I bought a few items that way. It was more advantageous. But it's not always the case (like photos or postcards for example).

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

You're right, sometimes it is cheaper to go through GSP, at first I hated anything regarding GSP but there has been occasions the shipping without GSP was about $6 t0 $10 more.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I like it as the shipping rates charged are generally much, much cheaper. Yes you have to pay the taxes and duty up front. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Exactly what I do, and the item always arrives quicker than waiting weeks for GSP.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@mar9332 wrote:

Exactly what I do, and the item always arrives quicker than waiting weeks for GSP.

Interesting.  I've only purchased two items that were forwarded through the Global Shipping Program.  Both were mobile phones.  Within minutes of purchasing the phones, I also purchased cases for them from sellers who claimed to ship directly to Canada from the United States.  In both instances, the phones arrived before the cases.  In fairness, I should add that one seller appeared to be using a drop-shipper from Asia who used a carrier that transported it through Europe.  And you thought the GSP was bad for roundabout shipping!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program / Pitney Bowes has destroyed eBay for Canadians. Period. First off,  US sellers typically aren't even aware that their buyer is receiving a separate invoice from Pitney Bowes. Canadians are permitted to import items under $20.00 from the U.S. duty-free - that's ridiculous considering our American counterparts are allowed to import $800.00 worth of items before they are required to pay import taxes/duty. INFURIATING! 

I have almost completely abandoned shopping on eBay and I refuse to deal with sellers who use the GSP {which is getting more and more difficult to find}. When I was receiving packages via USPS I NEVER had an issue with tracking, slow delivery or duties. With the GSP, I have all of those frustrations. 

US sellers do not even see that import charge or understand that something that used to cost $10.00 for delivery, now costs $30.00. 

Here is an example; I calculated the cost of purchasing a Burberry coat from a US seller. After calculating the shipping, import tax/duty and the exchange, it was only approx. $100.00 CDN more to purchase the coat BRAND NEW at Saks. That's a fact. 

I'm not an economist or whatever, but this is a USED garment!! Have the taxes not already been paid once on these items? I mean, come on. I hate what they've done to eBay with a passion. Canadians need to fight back. Write to your MP. There is a term you can google to sign a petition; "de minimis level for Canadians." Please educate yourselves and fight back! 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I don't understand why US sellers can't just sort out how to revert to using USPS; it seems when I ask for something to be sent via USPS they are dumbfounded. I don't get it.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It is exceptionally easy to avoid American (and UK) sellers who use the Global Shipping Program if that is your goal. Use the Canada Only filter at bottom left. Item Location: Canada OnlyItem Location: Canada Only

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

If you're interested I have a copy of the Comments about the Global Shipping Program Discussion thread on DVD. Extended edition. Selling for the reasonable low price of $19.95. Unfortunately having it shipped through the Global Program so shipping will be alot higher than you would expect and it will take a very long time to get to you, if it gets to you at all, undamaged. ID # 66666666666.  

-CM

PS. Sorry. Thought this topic needed an attempt at humour. It's getting depressing to read on a daily basis

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM MARCH 2017.

And it overlaps the 6000+ comments in the Global Shipping threads

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is often out of date and irrelevant.

@happy_pigeon

Message 16 of 16
latest reply