A seller accepted a return and issued a refund but refused to pay return shipping, how can ebay help

A seller accepted a return and issued a refund but refused to pay return shipping, how can ebay help

How do I open a case for the return ship?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

mcrlmn
Community Member

What is the reason for the item's return?

Unless it is defective, damaged, or not as described in the listing, return shipping with tracking is the buyer's responsibility.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It was returned because it was not as described... Seller agreed that it was erroneously described. Ebay sent me a note stating that it was the sellers responsibility to pay for the return shipping, they are now refusing... But since they have refunded my paypal payment all avenues to escalate seem to be closed How do I escalate this?
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I would open a dispute on PayPal, for the amount of shipping with tracking, and escalate to a claim right away.
I did so about 6 months ago. They actually gave me more than I'd asked for.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

And in any case, unless the seller is in Canada, he CANNOT send you a return shipping label.

At best, he can send you money to buy return shipping and trust that you will use it to do exactly that.

Which is why you should always be polite and friendly when explaining a problem to a seller.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the response. I logged into Paypal and selected the original payment to open a dispute over the cost of return shipping. Paypal says "This payment has already been reversed. You cannot open a dispute against a payment that has been reversed." I get the same message if I select the refund transaction.

Ebay should not be promising return shipping costs if they make it impossible to collect it.

Both Ebay and Paypal seem to be blocking me at every turn. Did you do this escalation on line with paypal? or did you call them?
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the reply,  Sorry my situation is so confusing and I guess unique.

Yes, this is the only avenue left to me. The item was not shipped to Canada, it was shipped to the US and it was returned from there too. The good news is the seller is still communicating, and he has opened negotiations for a partial refund of the return shipping in exchange for positive feedback.

Seems the seller is very aware of the ebay return policy loophole. Ebay needs to let buyers aware that you need to get the return shipping refund BEFORE you return ship. Which of course is not always easy to do since the cost of the return ship is not always known until you actually ship it.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for all of your help. after a week of very friendly messages back and forth the seller has decided that she does not care about ebay return polices and since there is nothing I can do she is refusing to refund even a portion of the return shipping. My only recourse is to leave negative feedback. Sad that I followed all of the rules and directions and I'm out the cost of shipping with no recourse. The seller ignores ebay polices and they are rewarded.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply