Buying an item from a fraudulent seller

Hi, I got an email today from ebay and was told that I probably bought an item from a fraudulent seller. If it is true, how can I get my money back. please see the email below:

Hello, Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages through eBay's messaging system. We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have compromised this member's account security. It’s important to note that we’re unaware of any problems with your account. We recommend the following precautions to help keep you safe: - Don't respond to offers to buy or sell an item from this user. The offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay. - Don't respond to any messages you received from this user that appear to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on. - Never pay for eBay items using instant cash wire-transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment with these method.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I think the key thing to remember here is 'may have'. What you need to do is wait the Estimated Delivery Date has passed without receiving it and file an Item Not Received by ebay. Alternatively, if the item you do receive is not like the item you ordered, open a Significantly Not as Described case. When opening these cases, mention in your notes that you've received the message and date.

Without knowing the details of your order and/or messages, this is the best I can offer you.

Also, in the unlikely event the seller and transaction was legit but your message was phishing, you don't click on any links, did you? It came via ebay Messages, right? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Paypal has a very strong Buyer Protection service. It starts the day you pay and continues for 180 days (six months!).

As long as your payment was made through Paypal, you are safe. A lot of the scammers don't realize this, fortunately.

Problems arise when a naive buyer pays by money order, since no one can get that money back for you.

If you are really worried, you can start a PP dispute today. You don't actually have to wait out the eBay delivery period. I gather that eBay thinks the owner of the account was not aware of the deal and that the account had been hijacked. Is that how you read it too?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I think the key thing to remember here is 'may have'. What you need to do is wait the Estimated Delivery Date has passed without receiving it and file an Item Not Received by ebay. Alternatively, if the item you do receive is not like the item you ordered, open a Significantly Not as Described case. When opening these cases, mention in your notes that you've received the message and date.

Without knowing the details of your order and/or messages, this is the best I can offer you.

Also, in the unlikely event the seller and transaction was legit but your message was phishing, you don't click on any links, did you? It came via ebay Messages, right? 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@stacey0314 wrote:

Hi, I got an email today from ebay and was told that I probably bought an item from a fraudulent seller. If it is true, how can I get my money back. please see the email below:

Hello, Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages through eBay's messaging system. We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have compromised this member's account security. It’s important to note that we’re unaware of any problems with your account. We recommend the following precautions to help keep you safe: - Don't respond to offers to buy or sell an item from this user. The offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay. - Don't respond to any messages you received from this user that appear to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on. - Never pay for eBay items using instant cash wire-transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment with these method.

Did you buy something using the email system rather than via the usual Auction/Buy-It-Now from someone pretending to be this seller?

Did you pay with paypal? (if so, then you are still covered if it was a proper purchase -- either through eBay or invoiced through paypal)

-..-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Paypal has a very strong Buyer Protection service. It starts the day you pay and continues for 180 days (six months!).

As long as your payment was made through Paypal, you are safe. A lot of the scammers don't realize this, fortunately.

Problems arise when a naive buyer pays by money order, since no one can get that money back for you.

If you are really worried, you can start a PP dispute today. You don't actually have to wait out the eBay delivery period. I gather that eBay thinks the owner of the account was not aware of the deal and that the account had been hijacked. Is that how you read it too?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply