Buying dispute

o.heng5
Community Member

Seller lists item on eBay with free worldwide shipping. When I click on buy-it-now, he sends me an invoice of the item together with shipping fee of $7. How to solve this problem ? Why is the seller able to include shipping fee in the invoice when he lists an item for sale as free shipping worldwide ?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buying dispute

Without being able to see the actual listing in question ... it could be a "handling fee" or it the invoice could have options of "free standard shipping" and then $7.00 if you want ... faster tracked shipping ... maybe something like that? Does the Seller say anywhere in the listing that there are handling fees or other available shipping methods?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buying dispute

o.heng5
Community Member

Buying dispute

o.heng5
Community Member
No the seller does not say there is handling fee. It states free shipping unambiguously.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Buying dispute

Ok I can see that from the listing ... some of his/her listings have FREE shipping and some do not and there is no mention of "handling" charges. The listing has FREE shipping so I think you should contact the Seller to ask why you have been invoiced for $7 in shipping costs. The Seller should send you a new invoice with no shipping costs. Mind you... the Seller may have clicked off FREE shipping in error ... it says by USPS to Canada and I'm not sure how that would work from Romania ... but either way the Seller should honor the FREE shipping in my opinion.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Buying dispute

Hi again, I was looking at the listings and I'm starting to think the Seller did not mean to offer free shipping on any of the listings...maybe ... only 3 of the listings show FREE and the rest all have shipping costs ... but either way that is not your fault so I would still ask for the Seller to honor the free shipping ... and maybe tell him/her to check the other listings in case the FREE shipping ones are a mistake they have made.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Buying dispute

@o.heng5 wrote:

Seller lists item on eBay with free worldwide shipping. When I click on buy-it-now, he sends me an invoice of the item together with shipping fee of $7. How to solve this problem ? Why is the seller able to include shipping fee in the invoice when he lists an item for sale as free shipping worldwide ?

A seller is not allowed to change the terms of the listing after the sale.  That means they can't add on a shipping fee and they are really NOT allowed to add a surprise "handling fee" after the sale. 

You always pay what is stated in the listing. 

Your seller maybe made a mistake and did not intend Free Shipping.  The seller is supposed to either ship it to you according to the listing terms (free) or try to work out a satisfactory end with you.  You can agree to the $7 charge or demand a cancellation.  You can't force a seller to ship an item.  

Assuming the seller made a mistake, do you still want it with the $7 ship fee?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Buying dispute

$7 shipping is not an issue, however, I believe the seller should explain to me whether he made a mistake or etc....
However, he refuses to reply my email or give me a satisfactory reply. Thanks.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Buying dispute

Hi, yes the Seller should be replying to you. We can only guess as to why he is not replying ... maybe there is a language issue and he doesn't understand your question or something .. he is an established Seller with great feedback so I don't think he is in the habit of sneaking in shipping costs after advertising free shipping or he would have a lot of neg feedbacks by now . My worry is that if you haven't paid yet you are going to run out of time and maybe get hit with an unpaid item strike. So I think if you really want the item and $7 is ok for shipping, pay for the item and then you'll have to leave appropriate feedback OR you could try asking the Seller to cancel the transaction completely if you are uncomfortable continuing with it. It's a difficult situation to be in when one side won't or can't communicate.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply