Can't open request for non-refunded item.

Hi eBay,

I bought a cellphone from a user with a good rating in August. When I got the phone, it didn't work, so I requested a refund and would ship back the cellphone. The user told me to ship it back and then they'd refund my money. They also said not to use any fancy shipping with tracking codes due to tax purposes. I sent the item back on August 21st. I e-mailed on November 2nd about where the refund was, but there was no response. I couldn't make a request with eBay or leave negative feedback because the transaction was too old and now I can't contact the seller cause it's been too long. I feel that this was on purpose and I'm very frustrated that I can't get a hold of anyone to help get some answers. Is there a way to contact eBay to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your time,
Desmund113

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am super sorry to hear this and even sorrier to say this but I think you've been had. Is it possible that you paid via paypal with a credit card? If so, contact the credit card company asap. Like, right now. I dearly hope you are not out-of-pocket a great deal of money. By all means, call paypal too. The record of your transaction will not ever expire in your paypal account and you'll be able to tell them who it was that did this. 

Good luck as you carry forward.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I am super sorry to hear this and even sorrier to say this but I think you've been had. Is it possible that you paid via paypal with a credit card? If so, contact the credit card company asap. Like, right now. I dearly hope you are not out-of-pocket a great deal of money. By all means, call paypal too. The record of your transaction will not ever expire in your paypal account and you'll be able to tell them who it was that did this. 

Good luck as you carry forward.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

in August. When I got the phone,

EBay and Paypal only give 45 days for an Item Not As Described Dispute.

The first thing you get told is  to contact the seller. This is sensible because most sellers don't want to get involved with the Dispute process which can have much more fallout for them/us than just a simple return for refund.

Most will ask you to return the item for refund. (Some will accept other proof of a problem, like a photo of the shards.)

So far not too different from your experience.

But.

They also said not to use any fancy shipping with tracking codes due to tax purposes. 

The wise buyer returns the item with tracking that will show when the seller has the item back.

As a side note, when someone tells you they plan to cheat on their taxes, don't expect them to act honestly with you either.

If the seller has not refunded by Day 42 after purchase, the wise buyer will open the NAD dispute, just to protect himself.

With the Dispute, if the seller does not refund promptly, Paypal will. The buyer has his original payment back (but not return shipping).

PP then goes after the seller for their money. There is more fallout. Some nuclear. None affecting the buyer.

And that's when things went wrong for you.

Too much time has passed for an eBay/PP settlement.

Go to the credit card you really paid with and ask about a chargeback, but frankly, few cards will extend their protection past 120 days never mind five months.

Try anyway.

Politely.- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 3 of 3
latest reply