Doll bought as new missing its certificate of authenticity

Hello,

I recently bought an expensive collector edition doll (Barbie, Gold label) that was listed as new.

The dolls are all supposed to come with a Certificate of Authenticity. However, when I received it the certificate was missing.  

I emailed the seller and asked for them to send it, but I can't really get a straight answer (tried 3 times now). They just respond and tell me to look for it and say "as you can see, the doll was never removed from the box".

I don't think that's the case. The doll may not have been detached from the insert, but the whole thing (insert and doll) would have had to be removed from the box to get the certificate out and it's not there, which is what I've said.

The certificate would be impossible to miss if it was there. I measured one from another similar doll I have (I own several) and they are about 4 inches by 7 inches. Apparently the seller bought it from someone else on ebay, not new from the manufacturer, so I don't know whether the seller I bought from or the previous owner actually has it.

Anyways, I'm wondering what I should do to get the certificate.  I can open an item not as described case if the item is missing things, but the only thing it lets me do is request a refund which seems excessive.

I  just want the certificate of authenticity which should have been included with a doll sold as new.

Not sure what to do and can't seem to figure out how to call ebay customer service without officially requesting a refund which I don't want to do at this point.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You will never see a Certificate of Authenticity on this doll. Your seller does not have it, never had it, and doesn't know where it went.

If the Certificate is important, you will have to Return this item for a refund, and try again with another seller and another doll.

Since this doll is not as described, the seller will have to send you either a postage label or funds for a postage label for return shipping, Make sure it is tracked. No tracking = no refund.

Open a Return Request citing either not original or not as described or missing pieces, whatever you think best fits the situation. 

The doll will have to go back if it is missing what you consider to be an important part. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You will never see a Certificate of Authenticity on this doll. Your seller does not have it, never had it, and doesn't know where it went.

If the Certificate is important, you will have to Return this item for a refund, and try again with another seller and another doll.

Since this doll is not as described, the seller will have to send you either a postage label or funds for a postage label for return shipping, Make sure it is tracked. No tracking = no refund.

Open a Return Request citing either not original or not as described or missing pieces, whatever you think best fits the situation. 

The doll will have to go back if it is missing what you consider to be an important part. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

For the record, any collectible that was made as a collectible, has almost no secondary market.

So the presence or lack thereof of the certificate, is not too important, since the resale value of the doll will probably never be any higher than what you paid.

Collect for the love of collecting,  and don't think of your collection as an investment.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply