Faux fur hat from China

I purchased a faux fur hat from China and was pleasantly surprised that a viable tracking number accompanied my purchase. However, the tracking now indicates that the "item has been presented to Canada Border Services Agency for customs review." Is this a bad sign? Could Canada customs seize or return the hat ? The only reason I could think of is that the item doesn't have a label to authenticate the fabrication. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Faux fur hat from China

@grace11roses wrote:

I purchased a faux fur hat from China and was pleasantly surprised that a viable tracking number accompanied my purchase. However, the tracking now indicates that the "item has been presented to Canada Border Services Agency for customs review." Is this a bad sign? Could Canada customs seize or return the hat ? The only reason I could think of is that the item doesn't have a label to authenticate the fabrication. Can anyone clarify this for me?

It is not likely the hat itself but ALL items coming in from China.  As long as there is nothing illegal about a funfur hat (not likely, is it) they will eventually send it on to you.  They have to check everything because there is no way to know exactly which items are importing these deadly drugs.  These links will help explain how very serious the problem is.  I think it is not widely publicized because they don't want to alarm people: 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carfentanil-exports-china-ap-investigation-1.3795415

http://globalnews.ca/news/3043678/chinese-trade-of-deadly-opioid-carfentanil-thrives-at-the-cost-of-...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Faux fur hat from China

I had the same thing happen with tracking from the USA on a dvd I purchased so it's not unusual.

I have a feeling anything coming in from China now might be subject to further custom's processing because of the drug problems.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Faux fur hat from China

Thanks, tmo. You may well be right. I am surprised, however, that your DVD from the USA was held up at customs. In your case, how long did it take before the item was released?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Faux fur hat from China

An hour. And when I received it there wasn't any Custom's tape on it indicating they had actually opened the box or anything so I'm not sure why it showed the extra processing ... but there is a law that you cannot sell dvd/cd's outside of a country when they are labelled as "for sale only" in a specific country. Now for your hat though, I guess if the Seller was maybe too specific on the customs form and put down faux fur hat instead of just winter hat, the "fur" could have triggered something maybe for further processing ... but I think it's just that it's coming from China/Asia in general
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Faux fur hat from China

@grace11roses wrote:

It is not likely the hat itself but ALL items coming in from China.  As long as there is nothing illegal about a funfur hat (not likely, is it) they will eventually send it on to you.  They have to check everything because there is no way to know exactly which items are importing these deadly drugs.  These links will help explain how very serious the problem is.  I think it is not widely publicized because they don't want to alarm people: 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carfentanil-exports-china-ap-investigation-1.3795415

http://globalnews.ca/news/3043678/chinese-trade-of-deadly-opioid-carfentanil-thrives-at-the-cost-of-...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Faux fur hat from China

wow, i.a.v! Thank you so much for these alarming links. I hope Customs Canada checks every incoming item inside-out. You're such a well-informed and diligent community member. Please know that your participation is greatly appreciated.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Faux fur hat from China

Thank you, and you're welcome. 🙂 I am passionate about keeping such a frightening substance out of the country. It is still actually legal to buy online in China. It is not even a controlled substance there. But imagine if it became as common as cocaine or something here. This stuff is a weapon!

So don't let the claim time run out on your item. You can always repay a seller if you are refunded and it arrives really REALLY late.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply