Fraud. ...

Hi ...

Well ... I am going to state this again and yet again.

It seems in the last year sellers from the USA are charging Canadians un reasonable rates. 

Now .. they are using import duties .. what a scam

Why does EBAY let sellers get away with fraud? 

I think it is time that ebay spells out what needs an import tax and what does not. 

ebay is encouraging USA sellers to over charge on shipping ... do USA sellers like to defraud people that do not read?  Yes

Some items go over 100 dollars for shipping just to see if you look.   Most items should be from Ten 10 dollars to 25 dollars .. but scam after scam .. and ebay does not listen.

What has happen to honest open sellers? 

Why is EBAY helping people defraud buyers when it comes to shipping charges?    USED ITEMS HAVE NO IMPORT TAX

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Fraud. ...

Well every single one of the premises in your rant is wrong.

It seems in the last year sellers from the USA are charging Canadians un reasonable rates. 

The seller chooses the service he will use, based on his need for swift secure delivery.

USPS raised rates last year. The cost of shipping rose.

Shipping rates are not based on the value of the item, but on dimensions, weight and options like Confirmed Delivery and insurance.

Now .. they are using import duties .. what a scam

Since 1985 Canada has charged applicable duty and taxes on imports. Most of the 'import fees' are for these CANADIAN fees.

CBSA and CPO seem to have made the decision that it made no sense to assess and collect these duties and taxes on low value imports, because the labour cost would be higher than the amounts collected.

Couriers like Pitney Bowes/Global Shipping Program or UPS must collect these, no matter how miniscule the amount. The couriers charge for this service. PB/GSP  charges about $5 for this. UPS charges $25 or more.

Canada Post, when they do deliver and collect dutiable/taxable items, charge $9.95.

Why does EBAY let sellers get away with fraud? 

It's not fraud. The amount of the import fees are given BEFORE the buyer completes agreeing to the purchase.

The charges are legal. Duty on imports. Sales taxes on imports. Service fee to shipper.

ebay is encouraging USA sellers to over charge on shipping

EBay does not encourage sellers to use the GSP on items selling for less than $50. Admittedly, they have not been good at discouraging its use on cheap items either.

... do USA sellers like to defraud people that do not read? 

Some probably do. But it is up to the buyer to read and understand what she is purchasing. That's why eBay does not allow children under 18 to join and bid. Only grown-ups.

USED ITEMS HAVE NO IMPORT TAX

You are confusing two different things.

Duty may or may not be applicable on a given import. Items manufactured in NAFTA countries are the best known freebies. Used items are generally not dutiable. The amount of the duty varies with the category of the item.

Taxes are applicable on imports, new or used. The amount of the tax (PST/GST/HST) varies with the value of the item. Used items are taxable.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Fraud. ...

Since 1985 Canada has charged applicable duty and taxes on imports.

That should read 'imports over $20'. The level was lower before that.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Fraud. ...

To quote the op: "It seems..."

Enough said...ask questions before you create your own truths.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Fraud. ...

mg152
Community Member
I'm in the US and it sounds like you're talking about the global shipping program. I use it but I also have a USPS option for Canada. I just shipped an item to Ontario for about $9.00, got there in 5 days. On my listings, you can choose GSP or I'll ship directly to you. The seller gets no part of the extra money you pay, it goes to pitney Bowes (whomever they are). I charge $1 handling fee because of the extra work involved.
The sellers aren't the frauds, it's this other company Pitney Bowes. You can look for sellers that will ship directly to you and avoid the extra costs.
RIP Jann & Charlie Keller. You followed each other to heaven too soon. We miss you both!

Be nice to other people! You don’t know what’s going on in their life.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply