Global Shipping charges

Hi. I have a question about Global Shipping charges. I just used Buy It Now to purchase something. When I clicked Buy It Now and was shown what the charges would be, the import fees were US $12. However, when I completed the transaction, the import charges given in the confirmation email were US $23.75. How can this be? Is it not illegal to add a charge to a customer's invoice without the customer's prior knowledge? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Global Shipping charges

Buy It Now is an auction option.

The Global Shipping Program fees are made up of duty, Sales Tax, and a small (~$5) service fee.

Until the GSP knows where you are and what the final auction price is, the GSP cannot be calculated.

The import fees are legally required to be collected on any import valued over $20Cdn (~$16USD).

So if an auction opened at say $25, and the Buy It Now was $40, the GSP would show before purchase as your $12 but after purchase at the higher price and depending on your provincial sales tax there's the difference.

(I know the arithmetic doesn't work. This is just a frinstance.)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Global Shipping charges

If you feel you are being scammed, simply do not pay for the item. There is no penalty for not paying for a item you purchased, unless you do it lots of times, you may get a slap on the wrist from Ebay. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Global Shipping charges

Buy It Now is an auction option.

The Global Shipping Program fees are made up of duty, Sales Tax, and a small (~$5) service fee.

Until the GSP knows where you are and what the final auction price is, the GSP cannot be calculated.

The import fees are legally required to be collected on any import valued over $20Cdn (~$16USD).

So if an auction opened at say $25, and the Buy It Now was $40, the GSP would show before purchase as your $12 but after purchase at the higher price and depending on your provincial sales tax there's the difference.

(I know the arithmetic doesn't work. This is just a frinstance.)

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Global Shipping charges

Umm-- welll.
One refusal to pay is not a problem.
Even if the seller opens an Unpaid Item Dispute, the Strike can be removed. Once. In a lifetime.
But two Strikes and the deadbeat will learn that many, if not most, sellers have an automatic Block against customers with Strikes for non-payment.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply