Global shipping program is charging import tax on tax exempt items

Silver and gold bullion is tax exempt when importing in to Canada, yet when an international seller is linked to the Global Shipping Program the Canadian buyer is charged import tax/fees. Is there a way around this other than educating sellers? Most sellers I talk to don't care or blame the GSP. I won't buy/bid on bullion from US or international sellers for this reason and I'm sure eBay is losing potential revenue from other Canadian buyers that refuse to as well.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Yes you are correct there is no tax or import charges to canada,on gold bullion or silver,there are some really good people to deal with that dont use the gsp and ship at a reasonable cost from the us as well as other countries.anyone that has been paying fees like the gsp are being taken for a ride,coins on the other hand are taxable being they are not pure,but customs isnt really worried about coins,some sellers in canada charge tax but you just have to avoid those ones as well,,i mean who in there right mind would trade a 20.00 dollar bill for a coin and then pay tax,not meas far as im concerned pity bowes owes a lot of people a lot of money on illeagle charges on bullion purchases plain and simple there are no fees of any king unless you use a broker and that is just as stupid

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Interesting that this only applies to bullion (pure metals) and not to coins (usually alloys).

For the record, the only eBay sites that use the Global Shipping Program are the USA and the UK, so you won't have to deal with  it from any other country.

Since the GSP doesn't want to change their stance, the only out is to ask US or UK sellers to ship directly and to pay applicable sales taxes and Canada Post service fees on your doorstep.

The seller is not required to do this.

It may help if you can point him to a service that includes Confirmation of Delivery or tracking.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply