Hello, I have noticed that different sellers have different times for the date of payment.

Hello,

Quite apart from my current trials and troubles with eBay, I have a question.

I see that different buyers have different days, for the cut-off, for paying. If I ask about it, some say "Oh that's fine. I can wait" Yet others say, it is all decided by eBay and that they have no control over any of the actions (that would be sad); so I am very confused over this.

I do not have a particular problem at this point; but the problems I have encountered have been due to my not have the total picture. Anyone care to explain these contradictory claims?  Thank you for your help.

Susan

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, I have noticed that different sellers have different times for the date of payment.

Hello Susan, 

<<different [sellers] have different days, for the cut-off, for paying. . . . some say "Oh that's fine. I can wait" Yet others say, it is all decided by eBay and that they have no control >>

Yes, confusing, isn't it.  

Basically, a seller cannot file an unpaid case against a buyer for 4 days in Canada:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/unpaid-items.html#work

but only 2 days on the dot com US ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html#work

Sellers can, however, offer a much longer time to pay if they want to.  Many do, particularly when they have auctions running all week and are happy to let buyers nibble away at their items until the auctions all end.  

It is never "decided by ebay", - I find that type of  "it's not me, it's the system" excuse to be quite disgusting and a sign that I need to find a more honest seller.  If they lie about a little thing like that, what else will they lie about.  

They can, however, set up their listings to automatically file unpaid cases after a certain time, and sellers listing on the 'dot com' ebay can file as early as 2 days after the listing ends.  If still no payment is forthcoming after 4 days, they close the case to get their fees back (and then block the non-payer).

Those who are willing to wait will not have this system in place, preferring to file unpaid cases manually as the need arises.

So that's the contradiction.  If you plan to do a bit of shopping it is best to have some cash in your paypal account, or if you find something pricier than you anticipated but still want to have, - you can always whip out a credit card and pay on the spot that way.  If you attach the card to your paypal account you have the 'instant payment' effect like that as well.  

No seller really likes an echeque because it takes so long to get paid and thus delays the shipment, but it is good to ask in advance and those who don't mind will surely be better to deal with in all other respects.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Hello Susan, 

<<different [sellers] have different days, for the cut-off, for paying. . . . some say "Oh that's fine. I can wait" Yet others say, it is all decided by eBay and that they have no control >>

Yes, confusing, isn't it.  

Basically, a seller cannot file an unpaid case against a buyer for 4 days in Canada:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/unpaid-items.html#work

but only 2 days on the dot com US ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html#work

Sellers can, however, offer a much longer time to pay if they want to.  Many do, particularly when they have auctions running all week and are happy to let buyers nibble away at their items until the auctions all end.  

It is never "decided by ebay", - I find that type of  "it's not me, it's the system" excuse to be quite disgusting and a sign that I need to find a more honest seller.  If they lie about a little thing like that, what else will they lie about.  

They can, however, set up their listings to automatically file unpaid cases after a certain time, and sellers listing on the 'dot com' ebay can file as early as 2 days after the listing ends.  If still no payment is forthcoming after 4 days, they close the case to get their fees back (and then block the non-payer).

Those who are willing to wait will not have this system in place, preferring to file unpaid cases manually as the need arises.

So that's the contradiction.  If you plan to do a bit of shopping it is best to have some cash in your paypal account, or if you find something pricier than you anticipated but still want to have, - you can always whip out a credit card and pay on the spot that way.  If you attach the card to your paypal account you have the 'instant payment' effect like that as well.  

No seller really likes an echeque because it takes so long to get paid and thus delays the shipment, but it is good to ask in advance and those who don't mind will surely be better to deal with in all other respects.  

Message 2 of 2
latest reply