Hi, I sent twice a message to the seller and never received any answer to my question.

When I found out that the seller was living at about 5 km from where live, I asked by message (twice) to send me a revised bill without the shipping fees because it was better for me to go and get the item by myself. I never received any answer and now it became a unpaid item case. What can I do when the seller doesn't answer my messages?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, I sent twice a message to the seller and never received any answer to my question.

Many sellers, myself included, are not interested in pickups.

For the seller, arranging a pickup is NOT free.

She has to be at home, or at the pickup spot. This is not convenient for working people, people with children, and people with disabilities.

She has no reason to believe that the buyer will keep an appointment.

Pickup usually takes more time than the post.

With Canada Post, the seller can wrap the parcel, print the label and drop it in any mailbox.

• CP picks it up within 24 hours (or less-- I have a 9am and a 5pm box within 3 blocks of my house).
  • The parcel is processed and delivered within 4 business days (my experience in Ottawa and in Victoria)

My last pickup took over two weeks.

• The buyer and I needed several emails and phone calls to set up the pickup.
  • The buyer had to take a bus to my home, because the parcel was too big for her bicycle.
  • The buyer had to make time in her schedule to pick up.
  • We made small talk. Look, it's only polite and she was a very nice person. But there went 15 minutes.
  • It was worthwhile because of an addon sale.

Add to that concerns about physical safety and about robbery. Not likely but possible and the reason for public space pickups.

When she did not agree to your request (which was a little rude) then you still had the opportunity to pay and get the item delivered to your door by your smiling postal worker.

But you didn't.

You can pay now and avoid a Strike.

Or you can decide not to pay and get a Strike that may make it more difficult* to bid or buy on eBay.

*Most sellers have an automatic Block against bids from members with Strikes.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

From your post, it appears the seller did not offer pick up in the listing.  It was quite presumptuous to decide that because you found it suited you better, you would demand this after purchase.  Besides all the excellent points made by "femmefan" in her response, all questions, including alternate shipping/pick-up arrangements, should be asked by contacting the seller prior to purchase.  It seems that the price of the goods plus shipping costs interested you enough that you made a decision to purchase before you learned the seller's location.  By purchasing the item you agreed to all those costs.  My advice is to pay and learn.  There are no negative consequences to you if you pay before the deadline of the unpaid item case.

By the way, did you know that in many US states, police encourage people who are meeting to complete an online sale to do that in the parking lot of their local police station?  It can be dangerous both for the seller and buyer - there have been bad outcomes that range from theft to murder.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

As maggiebvintage2010 stated, it does happen:

A Vancouver B.C. man placed a classified ad in a local paper to sell his ex-fiance's engagement ring.
The man who answered that ad shot him to death; execution-style.

Three men and a woman went to the sellers' Edgewood, Washington home to inspect a diamond ring offered for sale on Craigslist.
The suspects said by telephone that the ring was sought for a Mother's Day gift for a mother-in-law.
The family was detained. When the suspects started to beat one of the children, the sellers' father intervened and was fatally shot.

Recently on a Global News, Vancouver police encouraged people who are meeting to complete a sale, do so in the parking lot of their local police station.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

On the bright side, since your seller lives so very close to you, you can be assured the postage cost on the invoice is as low as is possible. 

It sounds as if the seller isn't interested in local pick-up. That is their perogative. If you don't want this order anymore, ask for a cancellation. They might grant it.

Do NOT leave them poor feedback or low DSRs because they didn't agree to something they are not obligated to do for you. Local pick-up is not a given. It's a big deal for most people.

I offer it only because my husband works from home and is always here when a buyer comes to get something. And he is a big, burly man. And we have a dog. And my average item sells for $20 CAD or less. If I were selling items of a high value, or if I were home alone, I would not do it on any account. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Pick up at the police station always struck me as strange.

For one thing, if there is a place where you are likely to encounter criminals, it would be at a police station.

If someone is adamant, try offering to meet on Sunday after services at your/any church. There will probably be tea and cookies in the Fellowship Hall then. Free!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply