How to report a seller that is breaking Ebay policy?

grerud0
Community Member

I have been using Ebay for about a year and have made many purchases.  I have run into a seller that seems to be breaking Ebay policy flagrantly.  They listed an item with "Free Shipping".  When I went to pay I couldn't because the seller had not specified shipping.  It requires that I send a message requesting a total that I can pay.  What I got was an email directing me away from Ebay to complete the purchase.  I have asked for a total three times.  They do not respond to messages.  They use the "unpaid item" process to bully people away from Ebay.  I can't figure out how to contact Ebay in writing to advise them.  What to do?

G

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mcrlmn
Community Member

Accepted payments policy

Report listing violations or problems with another eBay member.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

mcrlmn
Community Member

Accepted payments policy

Report listing violations or problems with another eBay member.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I've had a similar problem with one of my sellers. Not only is she breaking policy and T&Cs, shes committed serious criminal acts such as International Fraud, Extortion and Tax Evasion to name but a few. She's also guilty trying to bully me into committing these crimes herself. The amounts in question are over $400.
I went straight to PayPal resolution center and explained everything and ad emails to back it all up.
They swiftly took care of the problem. Good luck!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

There is a well-known-to-ebay-technical-department-glitch that makes items look as if they're being offered with free shipping in search results when they are really not. Is it possible that this is what you are seeing and misunderstanding?

This would not be through any fault of yours. Nor the seller. 

What happens is this and, again, it is a long-standing bug that the powers-that-be seem unable to rectify: a seller lists an item with FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING only yet in any search result, the words FREE SHIPPING or FREE POSTAGE appear beneath the item (on the search page only) no matter what country or ebay site the buyer is searching from.

It isn't until the user navigates to the actual item page and looks under the shipping details tab do they actually see that the item is not available for free shipping to the location in question if it is located outside the country where the item was originally listed. Because the only free shipping offered was within the country where the item is located. Domestic. Not outside of it. 

Clear as mud, I know. I have, however, been on both the buying ands selling end of this. I have also reported it. Others have reported it. I have seen no impact on reducing the instances of this occurring in search results, however. It is only after being stung myself do I double-check an offer that says FREE SHIPPING in search results against the information that is on the item page. The seller controls only how the item is listed; ebay controls how it displays in search results. 

I offer this possibility only because it might not be your seller's fault this has happened. It is possible that by 'shipping not specified' it means simply that ebay made an error because the seller said they'd ship it to your location but did not specify costs. A seller is allowed to do that when they list, say for example 'sure I'll ship to Albania, I won't exclude it but let me wait until someone from Albania asks for a postage quote before I add that information to the listing because it is time-consuming and I'm in a hurry right now'. It might not be a Best Practise for a seller to follow but one that is nonetheless allowed.  

I'm not sure this is helpful to you in this instance but I thought I'd throw it into the ring regardless. 

Also, some sellers subscribe to merchant services that handle their checkouts for them. It's a third-party software thing. I've never used it and I'm fairly certain it's not against the rules as long as the seller pays their final value fees and you can still use paypal, I think.

But if you find yourself getting an Unpaid Item Strike for not paying in this instance, you should absolutely call about getting that removed from your account. Again, my condolences go to you if you have to call eBay Customer Service. Pack a lunch, empty your bladder and take a deep breath before you dial the phone. Take notes and be prepared to explain the problem three times to the first person you talk to and again to others after that if the first Rep doesn't 'get' what you are telling them. I think they're trained to isolate what they 'think' you're talking about within two seconds and start reading from a screen to you regardless of what you say after that.

I was on the phone for an hour the last time I had to call about something and I nearly blew my top. After I explained what I was trying to get across three times, the Rep finally understood and, to her credit, did a very good job addressing it after that. Not to mention remained mostly patient with me long after I lost all patience with her. So. Calling helps if you are persistent. 

I'm sorry this transaction did not turn out as you hoped. Good luck as you carry forward. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply