I bid on an item, they cancelled the item saying my bid was no longer being, how can they do that

How can a seller just cancel a listing?  What is the point of ebay if a seller doesn't like the price they are going to get then they just cancel?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I bid on an item, they cancelled the item saying my bid was no longer being, how can they do that

@thomoose1956 wrote:

How can a seller just cancel a listing?  What is the point of ebay if a seller doesn't like the price they are going to get then they just cancel?

The seller gets a black mark for doing cancellations like that, if they get too many eBay restricts their selling.

Opposite side of the coin, are buyers who do not pay for the auctions they win -- black marks for that too.

eBay does not have the power to not force people to sell or to force people to pay. eBay is limited to applying penalties for misdeeds.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There are a couple of situations where a seller cancels, each with different results.

• The seller cancels a bid in an auction during the auction. He has every right to do this and the bidder has no comeback. Usually the seller will also Block the bidder from bidding again.
  • The seller cancels a bid in an auction during the auction. He then ends the auction usually because there was an error (which could be that he started the price too low and suddenly got colleywobbles).
  • The seller cancels a purchase because the buyer asked him too. No problem for the seller and he gets his selling fees back. The buyer can leave feedback.
  • The seller cancels a purchase because he is Out Of Stock or the Item Is Damaged. This may or may not be true, but the seller gets a Defect in either case, which has a strong impact on his selling account. The buyer can leave feedback.

Especially on auctions that start low, the buyer should expect that the seller will refuse the sale. This is bad behaviour on the part of the seller and he is reprimanded for it by eBay. Too often and his selling account may be closed.

This doesn't happen (often) with Fixed Price listings or with Buy It Now on Auctions where the seller has set a price he will be happy to get.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I think it is ridiculous that a seller can put an item up for auction, not like the price they are about to get, cancel the auction less than a day before it closes, and then put the exact same item back up for bid the next day. What is the point of an auction website if you only sell an item if you like the price you get. That is not an auction website that is a store! Very disappointed with Ebay, have bought many items over the years, will not be using your platform any longer! Tom Matthews, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Message 4 of 4
latest reply