I complained about slow shipping seller vindictively canceled my order, is this allowed..

I purchased the 2016 Butterfly Nebula Maple Leaf coin. When I complained about slow shipping(4 days later) seller vindictively canceled my order. Is this how a business operates on ebay and how is it that a buyer does not have freedom to ask questions without sellers behaving in such a way.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I complained about slow shipping seller vindictively canceled my order, is this allowed..

Hi, buyers do have the freedom to ask questions ~ this Seller took an approach that at the end may not have been in his/her best interest ~ as far as I am aware you can still leave feedback (pos neutral or neg) on a Seller initiated cancellation.

Did the Seller list with an extended handling time? Obviously since they cancelled the order they did not ship item yet but maybe the listing shows a handling time of 3 5 10 days or something?  Did you ask the Seller politely if your item was shipped yet? You say you complained about slow shipping ~ that sounds a little like you "jumped" on the Seller right away ( accusing instead of asking if you get my difference).  Sometimes things don't read as well as they would sound in person so maybe the Seller took offense at your legitimate question for some reason.  Not that it justifies what they did necessarily but ....

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I can't justify the behaviour of the seller nor will I try but I can assure you that anytime a seller cancels an order for no apparent reason, they get a defect on their selling account record. When defects pile up, a seller's selling privilege is curtailed or revoked. 

When you leave feedback for this transaction, remember the most effective feedback is calm and factual. 

Just out of curiosity, what was the seller's promised handling time? Less than four days? It will say on the listing. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Or did you pay via paypal e-cheque? Those take up to 10 business days to clear. Sellers are not supposed to ship until paypal notifies them that all is well and some sellers lose patience with the waiting game. This may have been a contributing factor if that is the case, but still not one that necessarily justifies an unrequested cancellation. 

Or maybe it was out-of-stock and they spent four days looking for it. 

What reason did the seller cite in the cancellation?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@renehaa_0 wrote:

When I complained about slow shipping(4 days later) seller vindictively canceled my order. Is this how a business operates on ebay and how is it that a buyer does not have freedom to ask questions without sellers behaving in such a way.

The seller didn't cancel out of vindictiveness, probably more out of fear.  Sellers have a "handling time" and they will mail the item out within that time.  Sellers who live in rural areas often have a longer time in case they get snowed in or otherwise can't get to the post office.  Once they mail the item the "shipping time" is up to the postal system and that is unbelievably slow sometimes but never ever the seller's fault.  

The problem is that too many buyers blame the seller for postal delays.  And if, in feedback, a buyer marks an item as not arriving within the delivery dates, the seller gets a "defect" on their record.  A defect is like a demerit point, and after 3 of them the seller could have problems with eBay. 

The worst thing is that it is not sellers but eBay who gives buyers these unreasonably short, overly optimistic delivery dates.  The seller has no control over that annoyingly fictitious promise.  Mail order means a slow order and sellers know how long items actually take but eBay posts these enticing but unrealistic short timeframes.  

Meaning that when your seller cancelled it is because the seller knew you would not likely be happy with the slow delivery times of the postal system.  Not many people want to sell to an impatient buyer.  

Having said that, a seller is absolutely not supposed to cancel except in extreme circumstances and the seller should have simply explained the postal system and real delivery times to you, nicely and politely, in a way that you would understand.  So if it can be any consolation, the seller also now gets a defect for cancelling the sale and could in the end be worse off than if they just communicated nicely and mailed it.  Every silver lining has a cloud. 

I agree that this is no way to treat a good customer but at least you did not end up buying from someone you believe is so obviously horrible.  The seller lost a sale and gained a defect.  They got what they deserved.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

All depends on the seller ,i usually ship the same day,a lot dont for variouse reasons,many orders,week end,some people dont like being bothered after only 4 days as to where the item is ?im thinking that you were not nice although i do not know the circumstances,but im guessing you hit a nerve for whatever reason,it will take a minimum of 7 to 12 days to get your order from any wear,maybe you need patience or maybe that vender didnt like your persistence?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply