I'm looking for a USB 3.0 hub. I sort search results by "Price + Shipping: lowest first"...

holtzes
Community Member

I'm looking for a USB 3.0 hub. I sort search results by "Price + Shipping: lowest first."

First result is

New 7 Port High Speed USB 3.0 2.0 Hub Expansion + Power Adapter for Notebook PC

and it's only $1.29 with free shipping!   Cool!

Open up the listing and I'm offered a drop-down menu to Select   Types . I'm offered a USB 1.1 hub for $1.29 (which I don't want) or a USB 3.0 which, when I select it, the price jumps to $15.09.

15.09 is not 1.29.   This is very deceptive as the item I want is much more expensive than advertised.  In fact the item I want is not advertised.

I think this is an awful and deceitful practice that wastes my time by making me look at items from sellers that i don't want.

It is happening more and more often.  Why does eBay allow this?

Is there a way to block so I see true pricing for the items I'm searching for?

Sign me "Really Annoyed"

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Besides narrowing your search to North America, you can narrow it even more by entering a price range on the left hand side of the screen or from Advanced Search.

Reverse your Search strategy.

Start with Highest Price - the shipping can be resolved later.

Then look for items from North America, not China.

This will reject the scammy offerings and it is faster to drill down to your price point by a few dozen /hundred offerings than to sort through thousands of badly described and counterfeit items.

Note too that if (and sadly when) you get a drive that says it is 50million gigabytes but turns out to be 1 megabyte, you will be required by Paypal/eBay to return it to the seller for a refund. Returns overseas with Confirmation of Delivery (also required by PP) is very expensive.