. If I buy an item from the US, will I have to pay customs or tax I to bring into Canada?

Hi, I've just moved to Quebec, Canada from Australia, so am not used to paying customs fees. I recently bought something online from Australia and was charged $70 customs/tax on delivery!
If I buy something from eBay from the US, will I have to pay custom/tax charges like before?

Thanks in advance!

Leanne
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

. If I buy an item from the US, will I have to pay customs or tax I to bring into Canada?

It depends on what it is and how much it costs and how it is shipped.

Anything with a value over $20.00 Canadian is subject to Taxes,  HST GST.

If it is over $20.00 and sent by mail it will be a $9.95 handling charge plus apprpriate taxes.

If shipped by courier could be high brokerage fees as well.

There is also a thing called Global shipping which could cost you more also.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Quite often lower priced items slip by Customs and there is no charge but

always beware that you can be charged taxes if item is over #20.00 so don't

be surprised when and if it happens.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Have you changed your address with paypal and ebay because that could be a problem

if you have an Aussie address and want it shipped to Canada.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program is very new.

If your seller uses it, you will be charged the Quebec HST (15%) and any applicable duty. Items purchased from the USA are only free of duty if they were manufactured in a NAFTA nation (Canada,USA, Mexico and Chile(Chile? Yep.)) Used items are not exempt. There is also a service fee which may be lower than that charged by Canada Post.

But CP is notoriously lax about charging fees, taxes and duty, and the GSP will definitely charge you.

It's a lottery, really.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply