My first time on eBay I offered a bid. Before it was accepted I found what I wanted and bought it

I have written 3 emails explaining that I bought what I wanted from another seller before the initial bid was accepted saying thank you but no thank you. I continue to receive emails telling me I need to purchase the item i decided I didn't want. What to do?
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

My first time on eBay I offered a bid. Before it was accepted I found what I wanted and bought it

Bidding is meant to be fun, but remember that each bid you place enters you into a binding contract. The only bids that are non-binding are those placed in the Real Estate category and for vehicles on eBay Motors. All bids are active until the listing ends. If you win an item, you're obligated to purchase it. Don't bid on identical items in different listings if you only want one item. If you win both, you'll be obligated to buy both.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Who did you 'write' to?

The only person who can get you out of this is the seller. There is a Contact button on the listing.

Ask politely with great apology that your bid was an error (don't go into what kind of an error, your actions are guaranteed to annoy any seller).

Ask for a Mutual Cancellation.

If he agrees and sets one up, agree immediately and you will be released from the transaction. You can now leave positive feedback "Thank you for helping a newbie through this." would be appropriate.

If he does not agree, and he owes eBay about 20% of your bid as a result of your actions, so he may not want to be helpful, you can only end the notes by paying.

The seller may instead open an Unpaid Item Dispute. If you do not pay, you will get a Strike on your account. Most sellers have automatic Blocks against bidders with Strikes, so you will find it more difficult to bid and buy in future.

Politely- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 3 of 3
latest reply