For how long am I permitted a refund since receiving my product if there is something wrong with it?

I purchased a game recently that was listed as new and in 'good condition.' I noticed the disk was covered in finger prints and scratches when I opened the box, and I'm not sure it's even functional. It's going to be a few days before I can try it out in the counsel to be certain.

If I need to return the game for a refund, is there a limited time period I'm allowed to do so? I got the game in the mail yesterday morning, it may be as long as 6 days before I can try it out in my friend's counsel at his place. Am I still eligible for a refund 6 days after receiving the game at my house?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For how long am I permitted a refund since receiving my product if there is something wrong with it?

Hello 'travimcka', 

<<If I need to return the game for a refund, is there a limited time period I'm allowed to do so?>>

About 6 months. Smiley Happy  Well, it depends, really.  For items close to home ebay provides 30 days in which to file your claim.  If you buy cheap things from China these can take nearly 2 months to arrive if they come by a slow boat, so paypal allows 180 days (nearly 6 months) to file a claim.  

As you are new to ebay, have a look at the following link about what to do any time there is a problem:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

It is useful information to know if you plan to do much bidding and buying on ebay.  If you want to see for yourself where paypal tells you about that 180 days, it is Section 13.5 of this:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

<<will I be less likely to receive full compensation for not messaging the vendor before leaving negative feedback?>>

Goodness, no.  This isn't school, where you get marks taken off for every tiddly mistake you make.  

But now that you mention feedback, --  yes, it is a good idea to contact the seller and give him every possible opportunity to make you happy before leaving a negative.  You have 60 days from the time you buy something in which to leave feedback.

When I look at the listing you bought, I see it very clearly says the item condition is "Very Good", again under the Item Specifics, and in the description he calls it "Excellent condition", but nowhere does he use the word "new".  

If you are unused to ebay perhaps you got a bit wall-eyed and confused it with another listing.  Also, if you shop from a hand phone (not a great idea) a lot of information is not visible on those things.  

So as soon as you are humanly able, perhaps you could test the game at your friend's house to ensure it is in working condition.

If it is, then you might consider asking the seller if he would help you change that negative.

When the first time you leave feedback it is a negative, I'm afraid that will look worse on you than it will on him.  You may even find some sellers remove your bids and block you because they fear you will leave a neg for everybody, themselves included.

The game will probably be fine.  If it is, see if you can't clean up that red mess, -- it will be best for both of you.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

For eBay 30 days after purchase.

For Paypal, 180 days after purchase.

For your credit card if you back your PP account with one, chargebacks are dependent on the contract you have.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

yess you have lots of time,like a month or more from ebay and 3 months or something from pay pal but being it was advertized as new and it doesnt apear very new fingerprints and whatever hmmm,i might be inclined to give not great fb or open a claim for item not as described, new is new or new like not abused or not well looked after but on the other hand if it works proper and can clean up nice its up to you as a buyer the fb you leave my self dont think great fb would be a good thing,cant imagine the seller at least cleaning the finger prints off it 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

That's helpful, thank you.

I'm new to ebay and didn't realize I was expected to contact the vendor before leaving negative feedback. I left negative feedback, and have only been in touch with the seller since they started messaging me afterwards. If I do need to return the game to ebay for a refund, will I be less likely to receive full compensation for not messaging the vendor before leaving negative feedback?
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@travimcka-0 wrote:

I purchased a game recently that was listed as new and in 'good condition.' I noticed the disk was covered in finger prints and scratches when I opened the box, and I'm not sure it's even functional. It's going to be a few days before I can try it out in the counsel to be certain.

If I need to return the game for a refund, is there a limited time period I'm allowed to do so? I got the game in the mail yesterday morning, it may be as long as 6 days before I can try it out in my friend's counsel at his place. Am I still eligible for a refund 6 days after receiving the game at my house?

Why do you believe the item was listed as new?

No where in that ad does it state the item is new.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hello 'travimcka', 

<<If I need to return the game for a refund, is there a limited time period I'm allowed to do so?>>

About 6 months. Smiley Happy  Well, it depends, really.  For items close to home ebay provides 30 days in which to file your claim.  If you buy cheap things from China these can take nearly 2 months to arrive if they come by a slow boat, so paypal allows 180 days (nearly 6 months) to file a claim.  

As you are new to ebay, have a look at the following link about what to do any time there is a problem:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

It is useful information to know if you plan to do much bidding and buying on ebay.  If you want to see for yourself where paypal tells you about that 180 days, it is Section 13.5 of this:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#13

<<will I be less likely to receive full compensation for not messaging the vendor before leaving negative feedback?>>

Goodness, no.  This isn't school, where you get marks taken off for every tiddly mistake you make.  

But now that you mention feedback, --  yes, it is a good idea to contact the seller and give him every possible opportunity to make you happy before leaving a negative.  You have 60 days from the time you buy something in which to leave feedback.

When I look at the listing you bought, I see it very clearly says the item condition is "Very Good", again under the Item Specifics, and in the description he calls it "Excellent condition", but nowhere does he use the word "new".  

If you are unused to ebay perhaps you got a bit wall-eyed and confused it with another listing.  Also, if you shop from a hand phone (not a great idea) a lot of information is not visible on those things.  

So as soon as you are humanly able, perhaps you could test the game at your friend's house to ensure it is in working condition.

If it is, then you might consider asking the seller if he would help you change that negative.

When the first time you leave feedback it is a negative, I'm afraid that will look worse on you than it will on him.  You may even find some sellers remove your bids and block you because they fear you will leave a neg for everybody, themselves included.

The game will probably be fine.  If it is, see if you can't clean up that red mess, -- it will be best for both of you.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

travimcka-0 wrote: If I need to return the game for a refund, is there a limited time period I'm allowed to do so? I got the game in the mail yesterday morning, it may be as long as 6 days before I can try it out in my friend's counsel at his place. Am I still eligible for a refund 6 days after receiving the game at my house?

Short answer: yes

For eBay for Item not as described:

A buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated) delivery date, or, if the seller's return window is longer, within the seller's return window.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

For Paypal: 180 days from date of purchase.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

That's helpful, thank you.

I'm new to ebay and didn't realize I was expected to contact the vendor before leaving negative feedback. I left negative feedback, and have only been in touch with the seller since they started messaging me afterwards.
If I do need to return the game to ebay for a refund, will I be less likely to receive full compensation for not messaging the vendor before leaving negative feedback?

Did you leave a neg before you even received the item??? Wow.
The seller is likely to be annoyed about the negative and less likely to be cooperative. However, if you do have to return the item for a refund, the seller may ask you to remove the neg.
If there is a dispute about the return/refund, all feedback will be removed, since a resolution to a dispute is considered the final word.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I specified in the search I was looking for new games. The listing appeared at the top of the page under that search.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

No, I left negative feedback after receiving the item. I haven't had a chance to test the item yet because I don't have the counsel the game is for, it was supposed to be a gift for somebody. I left negative feedback before contacting the seller because I noticed the game disk was covered in fingerprints and scratches in spite of it being listed as 'very good condition.'
Message 10 of 10
latest reply