How do I get the prices to stay in Canadian dollars at checkout?

When searching and when added my cart, the prices were in straight-up CAD (though sellers mostly in China). When I went to check out, my total was suddenly in USD. Obviously, I have no desire to pay an unnecessary conversion fee which I presume my Canadian credit card would charge, but I don't see the setting to get it to display consistently from cart to purchase... Anyone have this/figured it out? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Yes, set your search filter preference to buy from Canada Only (at left) and look for only the Canadian sellers whose items are shown with the price in boldface CAD as opposed to italics CAD. 

When you're shopping here, you will always pay the currency of the seller who listed it that way. ebay will show you the equivalent Canadian dollar value so that you can better judge the value of your purchase but the transaction will take place in the seller's native currency. If you shop only from Canadian sellers on ebay Canada who've listed in Canadian dollars, that's what you'll pay: Canadian dollars.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It is safer and simpler to use Paypal when you are buying online.

Your financial information is 'anonymized' by PP and the sellers have no access to that information.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Each seller can choose which currency to list in. So if your seller in China listed in USD, you'll be charged USD. You'll see a rough conversion on the listing, though.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Your Chinese sellers  are probably actually listing on dotCOM in US dollars.

Because they ship to Canada, you will also see their listings on dotCA (here).

When you Search on dotCA you will see prices in Canadian dollars because that is the currency of this site.

However, when you look at the actual listing, you will see BOTH currencies and as mjwl says you will be charged in the original currency.

The exact amount in the original currency will always be the same, but the secondary currency will vary because foreign exchange rates are constantly changing.

It is important to look at the location of the seller before you order. This is on the listing just below the price.

And check the estimated shipping cost and shipping time on the Shipping and Handling tab below that and beside the default Description tab.

Then read the negative and neutral feedback for patterns like slow shipping or poor quality.

Keep in mind too that 98% is not a good feedback rating. With overseas sellers, it is best to stick with sellers with 99-100% positive feedback.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply