I received a wrong item from the U.S.

I read posts about receiving wrong items and having issues with refund / return shipping cost, but mostly with sellers from China.

I purchased an item from a reputable seller from the states, but I received a wrong item, and when I contacted them, they told me to "return it" without indicating who's responsible for the return shipping.  Customs Canada also made it also complicated, since I already paid the duty on this item.  

since it was 100% their fault, I do not feel like paying any more to receive a replacement (not even a replacement, simply what I ordered).  If it was my mistake to order a wrong item, I'd be responsible for the extra cost as a buyer.  But if the seller makes a mistake, why should the buyer be responsible for extra cost involved in resolving the issue?  

As a buyer, I'd like one of the 2 options in this case.  

1) full refund including the cost of shipping from and to the seller and the Customs duty tax I had to pay on a wrong item they sent.

2) replacement and the seller pays for cost of return shipping and a guarantee that I won't get charged again from Customs Canada.  

Which option is more likely in my case?  With all the stress it's causing, I'd rather get a full refund and buy it from somewhere else, but I just don't want to pay any more than what I already paid.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The first step is to Contact the Seller and tell them you have received the wrong item. Depending on how the seller suggests rectifying this, you may be worrying about factors that won't come into play in your case. 

You've done that.

Okay. Open a formal return case citing Item Significantly Not as Described. This will force the procedures into place and add an extra layer of scrutiny to the transaction.

As to Customs, you can claim that duty paid back once you have demonstrated that Return was made. The CRA website will show you how. The seller has nothing to do with your import fee. You cannot expect anything from them about that. This is the risk we all run anytime we import something valued at more than $20 by mail. Buy Canadian instead. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@leftyninjaman wrote:

I read posts about receiving wrong items and having issues with refund / return shipping cost, but mostly with sellers from China.

I purchased an item from a reputable seller from the states, but I received a wrong item, and when I contacted them, they told me to "return it" without indicating who's responsible for the return shipping.  Customs Canada also made it also complicated, since I already paid the duty on this item.  

Was this item sent by the Global Shipping Program?  If it was that might change how you go about it. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Further to my previous reply, this is the method by which you get your Customs fees (import tax) refunded to you once you have returned an item, regardless of the reason for the return. To the best of my knowledge, the handling fee is not refundable but the taxes and/or duty would be. 

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/crp-prio-eng.html

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Initially I contacted them directly, but all they told me was pretty much, "sorry, Just rerun it". I sent them a few messages asking how I should go about the extra costs, and they avoided any specific questions, so I ended up opening a case on eBay to return the item.

I've already sent it back and and kept all the communications through eBay, so I hope I get the shipping cost back st least, though I didn't notice any form to put how much I paid. I received the item by USPS, and sent it back by Canada post.

All I wanted was a smooth transaction to purchase an item on eBay. I checked out the additional link to CRA site, but I just don't want to deal with any more stress, so I will have to accept the replacement, especially the seller is not responsible for the Customs, though I would gladly pay the fees for the correct item.

I did search for Canadian sellers, but no one in Canada was selling this particular item, so unfortunately I had to order it from the states. I've learned my lesson.

If I ever have to use eBay again, I will filter out sellers outside Canada. For most cheap products, AliExpress is becoming more attractive.

This particular seller handles a large number of transactions every month, so they don't care if they receive a negative feedback, the reputation system on eBay is not as accurate as it should be.

Anyways, sorry for my rant, and thanks for your reply! 🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Opening a case was the correct way to do things.

When tracking shows your item was delivered, you will have to remind both the seller and ebay that you are owed the replacement (or full refund) PLUS your return postage costs. This can sometimes be tricky, or more tricky than it should be, but it can be recouped unless your seller decides to be a total difficult person.

As soon as you have proof of shipment to go with your Proof of Return via ebay's Resolution Centre, use that link I provided to CRA elsewhere in the thread to get the import fees you paid back.

Don't let your disappointment with one transaction turn you off ebay completely. As you can see, for every 'bad' seller out there, there are several 'good' ones like those you find in the Discussion Boards to help you out. As to the ABX site, I would personally avoid that like the plague since all I hear about it is that it's direct supply of counterfeit items.

Best of luck with a simple and speedy resolution from here.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply