If I close a case, can I reopen it if the seller doesn't follow through on what he said he'd do?

I purchased an item, and it has never arrived.  I opened a case on the item, and the seller has responded.  He has said that if I close the case, he will then send me another item.  If I close the case, do I have any recourse if he doesn't send the replacement item?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If I close a case, can I reopen it if the seller doesn't follow through on what he said he'd do?

NO

And the seller probably never sent the first one anyway since he quite likely doesn't have any and never did.

So he won't be sending a replacement.

You sent him money.

You want him to return money.

The first indication of a scam is the offer of a "replacement".

The second is the request to close the case before receiving the "replacement".

Escalate to a Claim. Demand your refund in cash.

If he does not refund promptly, Paypal/eBay will refund you.

And then they go after him for their money.

He won't like that.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hello 'maplicito',

If you close a case prematurely you will never see your replacement, your refund, or the seller again. 

You do not say when you paid for the item, - - I am assuming you have waited a reasonable length of time. 

You do not say from which country you bought the item or how it was to be shipped.

If it coming, say, First Class from the US, that should not only provide you a tracking number so you can

see where the delay is, but it usually takes under 3 weeks.  

If it is coming cheap-o post from China, that could take nearly 2 months.

You will have seen this link about timing relating to cases:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html#timeframes

If you get a refund and the item eventually arrives, - you can promptly repay the seller.  That will ensure

you are taken off his "blocked bidder" list.  Smiley Happy

But sellers know that once a case is closed it can never be reopened.  A seller urging you to close is 

relying on your limited ebay experience as evidenced by your low feedback score, - and hoping you

will gleefully close your case.

Always be reasonable and wait as long as you can, - that's only fair, - but do not let the deadlines pass, ever.

And once you open a case, never close it until you have your money or your item.

I wish you luck.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

NO

And the seller probably never sent the first one anyway since he quite likely doesn't have any and never did.

So he won't be sending a replacement.

You sent him money.

You want him to return money.

The first indication of a scam is the offer of a "replacement".

The second is the request to close the case before receiving the "replacement".

Escalate to a Claim. Demand your refund in cash.

If he does not refund promptly, Paypal/eBay will refund you.

And then they go after him for their money.

He won't like that.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Exactly what femmefan said. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

And please do it now - don't delay.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hello 'maplicito',

If you close a case prematurely you will never see your replacement, your refund, or the seller again. 

You do not say when you paid for the item, - - I am assuming you have waited a reasonable length of time. 

You do not say from which country you bought the item or how it was to be shipped.

If it coming, say, First Class from the US, that should not only provide you a tracking number so you can

see where the delay is, but it usually takes under 3 weeks.  

If it is coming cheap-o post from China, that could take nearly 2 months.

You will have seen this link about timing relating to cases:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html#timeframes

If you get a refund and the item eventually arrives, - you can promptly repay the seller.  That will ensure

you are taken off his "blocked bidder" list.  Smiley Happy

But sellers know that once a case is closed it can never be reopened.  A seller urging you to close is 

relying on your limited ebay experience as evidenced by your low feedback score, - and hoping you

will gleefully close your case.

Always be reasonable and wait as long as you can, - that's only fair, - but do not let the deadlines pass, ever.

And once you open a case, never close it until you have your money or your item.

I wish you luck.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the response. I bought the item August 12. I see tracking info between August 15 and 21, then it disappears from the system.

I will tell the guy I prefer a refund, and will close the case if (and after) he issues the refund.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I should mention that the estimated delivery was between September 2 and September 18.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the response. I have told the guy I prefer a refund, and will close the case if (and after) he issues a refund.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply