Making a claim with Canada Post.

Hello  everyone.  A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 1930's wicker doll stroller from a seller in the U.S.  I made an offer that they graciously excepted.  I received the little stroller today and on opening the box the first thing I noticed was that there was no packing material at all except for two little boxes that the seller had taped together but were just loose in the box.  The seller had dismantled the metal frame from the wicker for shipping and part of the metal frame had gone straight through the wicker hood of the stroller.  It left a 7" long break in the wicker with holes and another bash mark that is about 3 " long.    I contacted the seller and he feels terrible about it.  He says it was his grandmothers.   He also stated that he packed two large pieces of styrofoam  in it to secure the stroller and strengthen  the box.  These were missing.   He has already refunded my purchase price of $85.99.  He tells me he sent the stroller insured through U.S.P.S. and Canada Post delivered it and so I should file a claim with Canada Post for the shipping charges.  Does anyone out there know if this is the route a person goes under these kind of circumstances.  I've not had this happen before and am not quite sure how to go about this.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

He also stated that he packed two large pieces of styrofoam  in it to secure the stroller and strengthen  the box.  These were missing.

No.

If either USPS or Canada Post had opened the box there would be notice of this in the packaging.

So your seller is 'being economical with the truth.'

I imagine that a good deal of bubblewrap or even newspaper or peanuts should have been used to protect wicker and metal.

He has already refunded my purchase price of $85.99.

Did this include the shipping cost?

If so, you have been 'made whole' and have the damaged item. I hope it can be salvaged.

If not, open a case in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page, for Item Not As Described. Ask for the shipping fee to be refunded.

The insurance he purchased, if any, protects HIM not you, against damage in shipping. (But not if the item was improperly packed to begin with, thus the notices that should have been in the packaging.)

He should be following up himself with the USPS where he bought the insurance. Let him know that you will be happy to cooperate with the postal inspectors.

A thought.

Was the item shipped under the Global Shipping Program? The GSP has been reported to open and repack items which do not have 'place of manufacture' indicated. However, again, there are notices in such packages from PitneyBowes/GSP/eBay confirming those actions.

If the GSP opened the package the seller is blameless and should not have refunded you.

Again, since I am a cynical nasty person, makes me think he has a guilty mind.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

He also stated that he packed two large pieces of styrofoam  in it to secure the stroller and strengthen  the box.  These were missing.

No.

If either USPS or Canada Post had opened the box there would be notice of this in the packaging.

So your seller is 'being economical with the truth.'

I imagine that a good deal of bubblewrap or even newspaper or peanuts should have been used to protect wicker and metal.

He has already refunded my purchase price of $85.99.

Did this include the shipping cost?

If so, you have been 'made whole' and have the damaged item. I hope it can be salvaged.

If not, open a case in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page, for Item Not As Described. Ask for the shipping fee to be refunded.

The insurance he purchased, if any, protects HIM not you, against damage in shipping. (But not if the item was improperly packed to begin with, thus the notices that should have been in the packaging.)

He should be following up himself with the USPS where he bought the insurance. Let him know that you will be happy to cooperate with the postal inspectors.

A thought.

Was the item shipped under the Global Shipping Program? The GSP has been reported to open and repack items which do not have 'place of manufacture' indicated. However, again, there are notices in such packages from PitneyBowes/GSP/eBay confirming those actions.

If the GSP opened the package the seller is blameless and should not have refunded you.

Again, since I am a cynical nasty person, makes me think he has a guilty mind.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hello again. Thank you for you answer to my query. The $85.99 refund was just for the stroller. I'm still out the $76.34 for the shipping charges. I noticed that in small print Pitney Bowes name was on the shipping sticker but he did ship with U.S.P.S. The seller says Pitney Bowes had nothing to do with the shipping. I did wonder why there was no notice inside from whom ever supposively opened the box. It has been my experience that only packages that I have received through Global Shipping have been opened, checked, repackaged and sent along and there was always a slip inside to state this was the case. What a mess. I hate to file a item not as described on this seller but I also don't care too much for being out $76.34. When you think about it, I didn't just pay him for the item but also for shipping so what good is refunding just the purchase price of the item and not also the shipping. Thanks again for your advice.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Just me again. I did my own research on this whole claim thing and indeed the seller should open the claim. I sent the seller a message with my information and he did his own research. I just received a message from him agreeing that he is the one to file a claim but he has also found out that he didn't have any insurance at all (He may be just back tracking on his story he gave me) What ever the case, he has refunded all my money and even though I should be happy I feel a little bad. I'm sure he will be packing thing better next time.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply